Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Awful lesson in school

(10 Posts)
bubbles22 Wed 10-Nov-10 17:41:01

DS had a lesson in school today that parents could attend. DS is in juniors and has AS and SPD.

I've been banging on for ages about his problems with attention etc. Of course, you always get 'he's fine'.

He is now undergoing statutory assesssment. School applied.

Well, it was awful. I felt embarrassed for him as the children sat on the floor at circle time. He was all over the place - lying on the floor sucking his laces, licking his shoes and not listening to a word of what was going on.

When he got back to the table, he thought we were doing something else entirely.

I was in tears after the class as he'd also been given time out for hitting someone today. He basically has no support whilst awaiting SA.

I spoke to his teacher and he said he had never seen DS like this before. I see him like that all the time and he is certainly like that on school trips that I've been on. He said if DS had been like that before he would have been shouting for help.

This teacher has been pretty straight to date but I just don't believe they don''t see this on a regular basis. Maybe not as bad, but they must see it sometimes.

DS never knows what is homework is or wether he's supposed to be doing stuff. I just don't believe they don't see it. I think they just think he's not harming anyone so they leave him to it.

I'm so pissed off. Why does it have to be a constant battle? I knew he was really tired today. I should have kept him off.

genieinabottle Wed 10-Nov-10 18:25:15

((Hugs)) Bubbles22.

We are having some similarities with DS although he is younger than your DS and school are not applying for statement.

I have lost all faith and trust in what his teacher and senco tells me.

I hate DS not getting the support he deserves and i hate when incidents happens even if each time one dos happen it's another tick to go towards us when we apply for statement.

Just wish we didn't have to fight this battle and that our dc could have access to good adequate provision for their needs.
But sadly it's not happening that way.

Good luck.

bubbles22 Wed 10-Nov-10 19:58:12

Thanks. I've had a terrible couple of days and have even had to name change on the board for other reasons! I'm not sure anything I'm doing is right any more. I feel I should HE really as this is going to be one hell of a battle. But I just want a life too.

fightingthezombies Wed 10-Nov-10 20:22:01

bubs,what a nightmare sad. I don't understand why he has no support if school applied for SA. They must be seeing the problems to have applied for it.
Perhaps now his teacher has seen how he was today he might start asking for extra support. I don't know what to say really. I'm 'lucky' because my ds's behaviour can cause the school difficulty and so they have to give him support or it all kicks-off. Hope tomorrow is a better day. Take care and remember to keep fighting.

bubbles22 Wed 10-Nov-10 20:26:51

Thanks. I had to persuade the school to apply on the basis of the reports which were recommending it after diagnosis.

Basiicallly, it is a case of 'if it only affects him' it's ok.

IndigoBell Wed 10-Nov-10 20:56:13

Sorry it's all so rubbish. I really feel for you.

I want a life too - would flexi schooling be an option then??? Him just do mornings or afternoons?

IndigoBell Wed 10-Nov-10 20:56:23

Sorry it's all so rubbish. I really feel for you.

I want a life too - would flexi schooling be an option then??? Him just do mornings or afternoons?

bubbles22 Wed 10-Nov-10 21:12:54

Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if that is the way to go.

Don't know how I would manage this with DS2 though!

IndigoBell Wed 10-Nov-10 21:16:36

How old is DS2?

Nothing needs to be permanent. You could try it for a term and see how it goes....

Nor do you need to formally teach him stuff when he's at home. If you lurk on the HE board, you see many people successfully do automonous learning (or something like that).

bubbles22 Wed 10-Nov-10 21:22:09

DS1 is the Aspie and would love to stay home a bit. DS2 has just started school and already moans every morning about it.

Not sure how he'd take DS1 going home early! Although, I suppose, he wouldn't necessarily have to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now