Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensitivity to clothes

(14 Posts)
LeninGrad Wed 10-Nov-10 14:12:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

YeahBut Wed 10-Nov-10 14:14:46

Is it the clothes themselves or the labels inside them? Are there any particular fabrics that are easier or worse to wear?
Could you decide on clothes for the next day the night before to take stress out of the morning routine?

TheArsenicCupCake Wed 10-Nov-10 14:21:22

We cope ( sensory) with the use of a tumble drier, the same washing liquid, and when at home softest of sofest everything.. Weirdly he doesnt mind tags!

Always wears the same clothes ( multiples of.. Rather than dirty lol).. Which limits choice.. And secondhand ( from ds1) uniform and jeans so they are well worn in.

Hth

LeninGrad Wed 10-Nov-10 14:21:46

TheArsenicCupCake Wed 10-Nov-10 14:27:03

Hmmmm

what about long sleeve t shirts (v neck) and a loose shirt over the top? Or a loose collar neck bit?
< racking brains>
ds tollerates shirts quite well and with the checked shirts in at the moment we actually have a choice of soft clothes!

amberlight Wed 10-Nov-10 15:13:06

If he's grown at all in the year, the jumpers may feel more tight, and it makes any texture in them much more noticeable to some of us.

Have you changed washing powder or conditioner or started using a tumble drier when you used to line-dry it (or vice versa)?

Is he getting dressed somewhere different to bbefore? I'm thinking of different lighting in the room e.g. sparkly sunlight and shadow patterns = eek and heck. Or is the room a different temperature than it is normally?

streakybacon Wed 10-Nov-10 16:42:08

Is there something upsetting or stressing him?

Ds's sensory sensitivity always increased when he was anxious. When he was/is calm you'd never know he had a problem, but when there's something bothering him he flips.

It might be worth thinking outside of the box. It maybe isn't just a clothes issue.

LeninGrad Wed 10-Nov-10 16:46:18

streakybacon Wed 10-Nov-10 16:52:18

I find I can't take anything for granted as being resolved. We have to go back and revisit targets for a long time after I've thought they were sorted as ds does tend to slip, especially if I add something else into his routine mix. It doesn't take much to unsettle them smile.

Ds is a bit older than your boy, but we work a lot to SMART targets at home and focus on specific things for a measured period. But even once they've been tackled, we keep them on a separate list to review from time to time, see if he needs a bit of help if he starts slipping. Might be something to consider as your boy gets older?

purplepidjin Wed 10-Nov-10 17:21:20

I don't know if I can help or not, but I have a sideline business making clothes for children with SN. Sor far, I've done: trousers with extra bum room for nappies; trousers with elastic waists for fine-motor skills issues; and a weighted vest for a very littl'un (I've only been going a few weeks!)

I make everything with enclosed seams so that there's nowhere to itch, and I don't use labels. I buy the fabric specifically for the project and make to the child's measurements. I have also found loads of different embroidered patches so I can reflect the child's interests on the clothes.

Message me if you think I can help

LeninGrad Thu 11-Nov-10 10:55:16

Ineed2 Thu 11-Nov-10 11:01:23

Dd3 wears everything too big, anything that is vaguely tight goes on and then comes straight off again. She also like to wear hand me down clothes which have already been worn in.smile.

I always have to wash new stuff at least twice before she will wear it, especially blinkin school shirts.

LeninGrad Fri 12-Nov-10 10:08:54

purplepidjin Fri 12-Nov-10 19:37:06

I can't help with socks (can't knit lol) but t'shirts/shirts could be adapted by using soft jersey material and sewing satin ribbon or something around the neckline. Most of what I do when i make clothes is make them look like regular clothes because I don't like to see SN kids looking like SN kids because of their clothing options. I'm not at all saying you do this, it's something I objected to (privately) at a previous workplace. Choices were jogging bottoms or jogging bottoms. Or, if you were really lucky, jogging bottoms. Not a choice at all imo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: