Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia - GP wont refer friends daughter

(4 Posts)
smugtandemfeeder Wed 10-Nov-10 10:26:22

My best friends daughter is 12 and attends a private school on a bursary. Her mother is not rich and has family help to afford remaining fees. Her school have suggested they think daughter may have dyspraxia and should see and Ed Psyc.

The GP is refusing to refer her on the NHS as she is not within the state school system. IS this right? It doesnt seem right? I thought the NHS was for all and that sending your daughter to a private school doesnt remove your entitlement to equal nhs treatment? Perhaps I am missing something.

Any advice on what my friend should do to get a free referral? Does she have any rights?

wasuup3000 Wed 10-Nov-10 10:31:18

EP's don't come under the NHS rather LEA's.
As you friend is in the private system she will need a private EP.
However OT's are the ones who help with dyspraxia and they are NHS and you can usually self refer a child to them without needing to ask your GP to do so.
They can also give the school suggestions on how to help.

smugtandemfeeder Wed 10-Nov-10 10:35:44

Thank you wasuup. So grateful for the advice. How would she go about self referring?

wasuup3000 Wed 10-Nov-10 10:37:58

Just ring OT service up number should be on local PCT website or similar.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: