Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Christmas gift ideas for our SN children.

(30 Posts)
Marne Sun 07-Nov-10 19:55:48

Just thought i would start a thread where we could reccomend gift/toy ideas for sn children, i know there have been a couple threads asking for ideas so i thought a christmas gift thread may be usefull. Here is my list of things i reccomend:

colour me a song

moon in my room

rainbow in my room

tomy forget me not photo album

Argos bubble fish lamp

shadow light/projector ,dd wont sleep without this on, the best thing i have bought her.

shape sorting clock

cake shape sorter

zoob

Gears

Please add your reccomendations, i'm still looking for ideas for dd2 (maybe something musical).

ShadeofViolet Sun 07-Nov-10 20:14:11

Piano Mat

bead drum

fascination tube

clacker track

These are the things we are getting DS for Christmas

beautifulgirls Sun 07-Nov-10 20:25:12

I don't have specific recommendations but I absolutely love the Happy Puzzle Company who have a mix of stuff some of which is very applicable to SN situations. I have bought a few things for motor skills for DD#1 in the past. You can order a catalogue from their website here

Spinkle Sun 07-Nov-10 20:35:52

I've got DS (6, ASD) a liquid timer. (Don't know how to do a link) They were about in the late 80's (ish) It's a plastic tube filled with water and a little heltery skeltery slide and blobs of coloured oil drip down it.

Sorry if I explained that badly.

Anyway - I've been fascinated by it since it came (Amazon)

anotherbrickinthewall Sun 07-Nov-10 20:39:04

Runkels Crafts up in the Lake District sell lovely handmade jigsaws and wooden feely items:-

www.runkels-crafts.co.uk/Site/Products%20List/prod ucts_list.html

ShadeofViolet Sun 07-Nov-10 20:49:38

Do you mean one o these Spinkle

If so, my DS has one of these and he loves it.

5inthebed Sun 07-Nov-10 20:56:46

Tomy music make

ShadeofViolet Mon 08-Nov-10 08:28:18

Thats a nice one 5inthebed - DS would love something like that - have added to my favourites as its his birthday soon after Christmas.

r3dh3d Mon 08-Nov-10 09:33:02

bilibo

5inthebed Mon 08-Nov-10 09:55:41

SOV, DS2 loves that toy, even if I did buy it for DS3 hmm

Marne Mon 08-Nov-10 16:12:26

We have a bilibo, it gets played with every day (for verious things).

catski Mon 08-Nov-10 16:47:57

Brilliant thread - thanks.

Does the bilibo really get played with every day Marne? That's fantastic. That would be the kind of thing that I'd love my son to play with but can just imagine it gathering dust in the corner. Maybe I should give it a whirl.

Marne Mon 08-Nov-10 18:19:17

both dd's play with it every day, it gets used for spinning, to hide under and to put toys in (and spin them around), we have had ours for 18 months and its sstill the most played with toy in the house (other than the PC).

Spinkle Mon 08-Nov-10 18:23:32

That's the thing ShadeofViolet!

'cept mine came from Amazon with free p&p.

Going to see what a bilibo is....

LegoLady95 Mon 08-Nov-10 22:38:31

Some great ideas, I have a few more things on my list now.

A couple of things DS1 will be getting:

LegoLights Torch

He is obsessed with our Henry, so I hope this satifies him:

Toy Henry

Davros Tue 09-Nov-10 09:56:16

A while ago I suggested to MNHQ that we have a section in the Reviews area, where there is a section on Gifts, just for SN gifts. They said YES but it hasn't happened. I wonder how I draw this thread to their attention? Anyone know, sorry to be dumb?
I also thought we could put a link somehow at the top of the SN section so people can find it easily.

chickensaresafehere Tue 09-Nov-10 11:49:40

Any ideas for my dd2,3.9,non-verbal & hypermobile.
I am really stuck,as I obviously cannot ask her what she wantsconfused

anonandlikeit Tue 09-Nov-10 12:18:44

I'm really stuck for my ds2, he's 8 with ASD & mild CP.
He doesn't know what he wants, has no interests other than watching DVD's, plays with nothing.
He has a good understanding so toys aimed at much younger children, although may spark his interest a little he would see as for "babys" & would hate.
I don't even know what the average 8 year old wants???
Help!! DS1's wish list is gettign longer & longer DS2 still ahs no idea!

woolytree Tue 09-Nov-10 12:32:23

We have a bilbo and a rainbow in my room...bit disappointed at no plug but both great buys.

Were thinking of a portable dvd player as we borrowed one for travelling and DD loved it...she is a telly addict! Our best buys for her recent birthday were a mini fitness trampolene (around £20) bargain for indoor use and all kids love it, then we got two leatherette...(wipe clean) beanbags for about £8 each on Amazon + P&P. All in constant use. grin

I thought a marble run would be good but Im worried DD or Ds will eat the marbles! hmm

Anything from Leapfrog goes down well in our house, fridge phonics, leapster, Tag reader and my computer...will be getting more books and games as they are BOGOF in Toys R Us at the moment.

ShadeofViolet Tue 09-Nov-10 12:41:35

Chickens - does she like bubbles? I got DS a bubble machine from ELC last year and he loves it!

Triggles Tue 09-Nov-10 13:07:52

I like the look of the bilibo.

Marne - how old are your dd's? DS2 is 4yo - is it something a 4yo would be too big physically for? (like sitting in it)

woolytree Tue 09-Nov-10 13:24:48

My DD is 5 and has a bilbo, DS is 1 and puts cars in it and my niece is 9 and wants one! grin Great for spinning, wobbling etc.

...Im not Marne I know blush but Im sat here bored with a poorly DD. Sorry.

r3dh3d Tue 09-Nov-10 13:49:31

The bilibwhatsit is supposed to go up to age 8. I think it's fairly strong, it's mostly a question of when the bum gets too big to fit in it, as sitting and spinning is the major application.

I've always thought the Ikea hanging seats are probably good (if your household DIY is up to it - ours isn't, alas!) here and here.

Triggles Tue 09-Nov-10 14:02:57

lol woolytree - thanks for the info! I could foresee it getting used a lot for spinning in our house. grin Hope your DD is feeling better soon.

r3dh3d - the hanging seats are interesting, but sadly both our lack of DIY skills as well as DS2's staggering skill of falling on his head means that we would definitely have to pass on those! grin I would spend all my free time (what little I have) in the A&E! thank you though - if the bilibo is up to age 8, a 4yo shouldn't be a problem.

Marne Tue 09-Nov-10 17:18:17

Dd1 is 6 and fits in the bilibo (they are quite roomy), dd2 is a chunky 4 year old, they both manage to spin around in it. Its made of really strong plastic, dd2 turns it over and stands on the top grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now