Advanced search

Private Educational Psychologists?

(7 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Sun 07-Nov-10 09:40:29

Is it possible to hire a private Ed Psych - am thinking about if I need an independant opinion after our meeting with LA's one on tuesday.

Is there a central register where they are all listed?

LIZS Sun 07-Nov-10 10:50:23

yes there is try here although no idea how comprehensive it is. could be £££ though - we have paid £500 recently.

StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Sun 07-Nov-10 11:18:09

It depends on where you think you are going with all of this, but if you think there is any chance you'll end up in a tribunal or threatening tribunal you might want to contact the charities ipsea, ace, sossen, network81 for their recommendations as the ones that they know will word their reports in exactly the way needed for LA's to pay attention iyswim.

ALthough, a growing number of EP's are getting experience. When you contact them ask them if they have experience of or are willing to attend a tribunal, even if you aren't planning to as it gives you an idea of their experience.

ShadeofViolet Sun 07-Nov-10 14:45:58

I dont know where I am going with it - but I am willing to take it whereever our LA (Nottinghamshire) want to take it. I didnt think to ask IPSEA, though I have been in contact with them over statements in general.

Thanks for the list LIZS.

beautifulgirls Sun 07-Nov-10 20:22:23

I contacted SOS:SEN and they gave me a list of localish ones who they had good reports about. I have not been to see any (yet) for various reasons but had a chat with one of them on the phone and she was so helpful - especially given she was not getting any fee from me for the advice she was giving at the time and yet she still spent 20minutes talking to me.

bowbluebell Mon 08-Nov-10 19:08:56

You can find a list of chartered educational psychologists offering independent assessments on the British Psychological Society website, 'find a psychologist' section. It gives contact details and assesments. I think that an assessment would cost between £500-800, depending on what you are looking for (that's what I think my colleagues who do private work charge, I'm a lowly local authority EP!).
Hope that helps.

IndigoBell Mon 08-Nov-10 21:43:06

BowBlueBell - but for that money do the private ones actually do a better examination / report? grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: