Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Feelings and faces game (autism related)

(9 Posts)
catski Thu 21-Oct-10 20:48:33

Just wondering if anyone has used this game before:
www.sbs-educational.co.uk/multicultural-pshe/emoti ons/feelings-and-faces-game/

I was thinking of buying it for my 3.5 year old (mild autism) for christmas. It's pretty expensive though, and am wondering if it's suitable/how it's played/what feelings are described. DS is good with basic emotions (happy, sad, angry, frightened) but not there on surprised, excited etc

Have searched on the web, but can't seem to find who makes it and any more details on it.

Anyone?? It's a long shot, I know...

BialystockandBloom Thu 21-Oct-10 20:52:25

I don't know about that particular game I'm afraid, but as you say it does seem expensive. So I was just wondering whether you could make your own version? Maybe just take loads of pictures of you/family doing all the different expressions, print them out and make your own matching rules.

My ds (recently dx with asd, also 3.5) is at a similar level with recognising emotion, and we often look at pictures in magazines etc describing the emotion. I don't think I'd spend £25 on a game tbh.

catski Thu 21-Oct-10 21:43:03

It is pretty steep isn't it....especially when I don't know if it's going to be any good or not. Great idea about about taking pictures of us doing different expressions though!

catski Thu 21-Oct-10 21:46:33

I notice as well that the details in the link put the game at key stage one, which I think is between ages 5 and 7, so possibly going to be too advanced for a preschooler anyway.

chuckeyegg Fri 22-Oct-10 07:48:24

There is things on Amazon like puzzles and postcards that might suit you better and more affordable.

HERE

amberlight Fri 22-Oct-10 09:52:20

As someone who's on the autism spectrum, I must admit many of the 'emotions pictures' on those sorts of games are meaningless. On the link given, they've shown some children on the "outdoor learning photo board" for example, but they make no sense to me at all. Not even as an adult in her 40s who's had extensive training in recognising the absolute basics of face expressions. Why would a child putting their head on one side mean they're shy? What is it that makes the lad in the last picture "sorry"? It's a complete mystery confused

Parents would do just as well getting images for free off Google and talking to their child about what makes a face look happy/sad/whatever, arguably.

StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Fri 22-Oct-10 12:35:07

I have no expertise in this area at all, but I have to say that I rate whatever the opposite of autism is in all on-line crude tests and I can't tell peoples emotions from many static pictures. There is so much more to it than a snapshot.

I prefer more dynamic and moving faces to do the work with ds. He likes drawing though so sometimes we ask him to draw a face that is cross, or crying etc. That seems to have been successful.

catski Mon 08-Nov-10 15:25:23

Sorry for taking so long to come back to this. Thank you for the additional replies and ideas - much better than buying the game I think.

IndigoBell Mon 08-Nov-10 16:58:38

You might like the Transporters dvd instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now