Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anyone recommend a good ABA therapist in London ?

(31 Posts)
Mum1369 Tue 14-Sep-10 17:29:13

We are in South East London ???

smallwhitecat Tue 14-Sep-10 17:40:23

Message withdrawn

Mum1369 Tue 14-Sep-10 18:15:31

Oh - not really sure. Am quite early stages, no diagnosis but possible HFA / Aspergers on full paed assesment. Started on GFCF and BioMed approx six months ago - read a bit about ABA and thought it would be a good one to add in alongside. How does the 'programme' work? I just assumed I would need to find a private ABA who I would pay for weekly sessions
Do you need a dx to get onto the programmes you mentioned and what do they entail ?
Thanks !!

justaboutawinegumoholic Tue 14-Sep-10 18:39:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BialystockandBloom Tue 14-Sep-10 21:21:26

Hi

We're in a very similar situation - waiting for assessment/dx for ds (probable asd, possible HFA). We've just started an ABA programme - the VB (verbal behaviour) method. We have set it up ourselves with a consultant, supervisor and 3 tutors. The first step is to find a consultant, then recruit tutors yourselves. We used gumtree and aba yahoo group to find tutors (we interviewed a lot!). It has taken us about 3 months to get it all set up.

As justa said, it is a full-time thing - for it to be effective you need at least 20 hour per week, so I have accepted my life is going to be pretty much devoted to it for the forseeable future. Ds has two sessions every week day, 3-hours each.

No you don't need a dx - anyone can do it.

It might be worth contacting BIBIC too, they do assessments and though don't diagnose, they offer some help with strategies, advice and suggestions of therapies. But there is a very long waiting time - we're having to wait till March 2011 for our assessment!

I'm in SE London too smile Whereabouts are you (without giving too much personal info away?). How old is your ds?

Mum1369 Tue 14-Sep-10 23:15:48

He's 3 and we are near Herne Hill - are you anywhere near ? (Thanks for the info justabout and smallwhitecat)

Davros Wed 15-Sep-10 08:05:01

Kevin Conallen based at UCL, but don't know his contact info right now, could find it. HTH

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Sep-10 11:01:55

Message withdrawn

BialystockandBloom Wed 15-Sep-10 11:02:38

We're very near you, between east dulwich/peckham rye smile

Out of interest, has CFCF diet made any difference to ds?

Mum1369 Thu 16-Sep-10 12:54:31

I'm not sure - it certainly seemed to in the beginning - but now we have added in so many supplements it's hard to see what is making the difference
I'm not sure how to do it - but is it possible to 'cat' you - I think that means email you direct from your profile?
Would be good to meet up for a coffee and compare notes !

willowthecat Thu 16-Sep-10 12:59:23

My ABA tutor has just moved to London (to study to become a speech therapist of all things, good to get some decent people into the profession though). I don't know if she is planning to do any ABA tutoring as well as studying. I could ask her when I next email her. She is very good and very experienced.

Mum1369 Thu 16-Sep-10 16:03:28

That's really kind of you willow, thanks

BialystockandBloom Thu 16-Sep-10 20:33:19

Hi, that would be good! It can be quite isolating can't it - I'm finding the older our dc get the less we have in common with mums of nt children sad

I have no idea how to CAT though! (Despite having been on MN for 3 years blush). I'll have a look at the MN blurb and try and work it out.

londongirl4 Thu 16-Sep-10 22:31:59

I have set up my own ABA programme for my 7yo ASD DD- I only do it after school for 2 1/2 hrs as she has PDA (pathological demand avoidance) and we have had some success with her behaviour.....I think the amount of time your child needs ABA for depends on your situation. I also live in S London, I found tutors through ABA UK group

phlebas Thu 16-Sep-10 23:34:21

Adding another voice - any amount of good ABA is worthwhile imo - we would never have started if we were told 20+ hours was essential. ABA becomes a parenting technique so quickly (half an hour in the bath with ds this evening I tested & knocked off his 2 most recent intraverbal targets) - that you 'do' it all the time anyway).

Mum1369 Fri 17-Sep-10 14:08:29

Thanks everyone ! That's all really useful stuff - Mumsnet rocks !

BialystockandBloom Fri 17-Sep-10 20:20:58

I've changed my MN settings so if you want to CAT me for any more info about ABA or to meet for coffee, please feel free smile

Mum1369 Sun 19-Sep-10 09:43:12

Have given it a go ! Let me know if it hasn't come through

willowthecat Sun 19-Sep-10 10:02:51

The ABA therapist I mentioned told me she is busy on placements almost 9-5 except thurs afternoons. She might be able to do a session on thurs afternoons but would depend on which part of London. I'll pass on her email if it's any use.

electra Sun 19-Sep-10 12:05:41

Mum1369 Sun 19-Sep-10 13:19:21

Ooh - afraid I don't know what that means - I am an ABA virgin....

electra Sun 19-Sep-10 13:40:43

Mum1369 Sun 19-Sep-10 14:22:37

Will do that ! Thanks !

djidja Fri 24-Sep-10 16:07:49

Hello, can anyone recommend a good ABA therapist in London SE area? I live on the boarders on Erith and Thamesmead. Son is 3yrs. Thanks

AutismTherapist Sat 05-Mar-11 13:59:18

Hi,

Have you all sorted out your ABA programmes and got all the tutors/therapists you need?

Unless it does not meet your children's needs, if possible try to do at least 20 hours per week. The old fashioned dicrete trial method is not seen as the most useful and engaging now for children. PEACH ABA is used by some of the families I work/have worked with and they seem to be good. There is also a different programme called Son-Rise which I also work on,with all sorts of potential uses, it is easily searched online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now