Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

h/visitor

(17 Posts)
kerry0115 Sun 22-Aug-10 21:43:43

when i was explainning to a sure start member off staff that my sons peadatrition has said he thinks it highly likely my son has asd,h/v overheard and said she will come out to c him/me tommorow afternoon.ive no idea why or what to expect,anyone else been in this situation ?

cansu Sun 22-Aug-10 21:47:40

This is probably a tea and sympathy visit. I had a few of these when my son was dx. If you can think of anything useful he / she can do then ask for it! I don't mean to sound cynical but these visits dried up pretty quickly.

kerry0115 Sun 22-Aug-10 21:52:48

cheers,she was very off with me when my son was 2yr 8 mth.told me he should be out of nappies and walking (even now he in nappies and buggy coz i cant get him dry or walking ).maybe now he nearer to diagnosis she will be more sympathetic lol x

IndigoBell Sun 22-Aug-10 22:08:22

Maybe she's worried about being caught out not doing her job (ie not noticing any of the symptoms at 2.8) and is trying to cover her derrier?

lisad123isgoingcrazy Sun 22-Aug-10 22:57:34

havent seen mine in 2 years, only the Special needs one now and then. I wouldnt worry too much, just likely to be that they might ask her opinion at some point so needs to look like shes doing the job shes paid for hmm

MiladyDeSummer Sun 22-Aug-10 23:29:56

Mine came to see me when there were initial concerns about DS' speech delay and restricted play. She didn't spot the signs, said his eye-contact was okay (it wasn't) and chatted to me about getting DS to eat / sleep more but in a non-judgemental way.

When he was diagnosed with ASD she rang and was completely lovely. She said that I would be assigned a SN Health Visitor but that she would always be available to us in addition and indeed she is.

Hope it goes well for you smile

signandsay Mon 23-Aug-10 07:49:16

Do all areas have SN HVs? I have never heardof them here, (although have to say usual one is brill, really supportive, finding out info, coming to meetings, she is newly qualified and quite switched on, smile they have re drawn the boundaries though and she is moving areas arghhh!sad will have to wait and see who we get next.

m0nkeynuts Mon 23-Aug-10 08:06:22

When I first took DS2 to the GP to get referred to SALT, he referred us to HV straight away for a second opinion as he [rightly] had concerns about other aspects of DS2's development!

HV has been round regularly ever since.

kerry0115 Mon 23-Aug-10 08:49:57

i dont know one person that likes my h/v. she always seem to talk down to parents,and goes on about what kids should be doing at their ages.my friends lo was 3 march and h/v keeps moaning that he should b out nappies/walking but his mum is going through simular to me were hes having problems with hid development x

MiladyDeSummer Mon 23-Aug-10 09:22:29

Maybe she'll have an attack of the guilty conscience if it transpires that your DS has real issues which have nothing to do with your parenting, and take on more of a supportive role.

If she doesn't then perhaps you could suggest that it's partly her job to check for signs of a problem since she's the professional wink

Not sure about the special HVs, ours is actually called the HV for additional needs but I don't know if all areas have them. I hadn't heard about them pre-diagnosis.

We also have a developmental pre-school at the clinic (staff: pupil ratio is 2:5) which is excellent. DS only had to wait a couple of months before getting a place. The regular HV referred him before he was diagnosed.

roundthebend4 Mon 23-Aug-10 10:40:24

we had nothing from sn health vistor and the normal one well think we seen her once , yet apparently she soffered supporthmm

kerry0115 Mon 23-Aug-10 21:35:25

well she came out was useless as normal .told me she could see what consultant ment about his lack eye contact but told me i need put him in pants,make him walk,(ive been trying this ova past yr now ).she said she thinks he not asd but seperation anxiety ? not sure how she thinks that she saw him for 2 mins.has only ever seen him couple times all 2 min visits x

Ineed2 Mon 23-Aug-10 22:08:38

Stupid woman, I spoke to my HV dozens of times when Dd3 was little about various things she never helped or had anything usful to say in the end I stopped going. I only had 1 decent HV and that was with Dd1 and I was livng in a really deprived area.

Bigpants1 Mon 23-Aug-10 22:15:06

Hi.Take what she says with a pinch of salt. Ive had a few HV since I sarted having dc, and for the most part, unless, the dc is following the normal developmental pathway,they are not much help, as they have very little training in SN.
The peadatrician will know what his "stuff", so follow his advice.
If, your HV wants to put your ds difficulties down to your parenting, let her get on with it. Even if you could get him to walk, and be out of nappies, he would still have ASD.
One health "professional" once recorded that my ds co-ordination problems, were due to him wearing "bulky pull-ups". He has since been dx with Dyspraxia and HFA-Silly Moo! lol.

mel1981 Mon 23-Aug-10 22:31:20

My HV is pants. I had to push and push to get my DS refered to anyone. I know he was very young so its the usual 'they develop at their own speed' but he was my 3rd and I Knew something was wrong. Hardly see her now only when Ds had to have jabs etc.

niminypiminy Mon 23-Aug-10 22:53:06

I owe the fact that we have a dx to my HV, and also that I was pulled out of post-natal depression (twice), she sent the nursery nurse round to look after the dcs so I could have a bath alone, referred me to home visiting service. In short she has been a huge support and I am so, so grateful that she has been there during the difficult times. Amazingly, she even managed to sound pleased to hear my voice when I rang at 5.30 on Friday.

kerry0115 Tue 24-Aug-10 07:49:11

thanks,i never go to see her,after her visit think ill stick to peaditrition,.niminypiminy its great you have a good h/v.
my son is my 5th so i know there is something wrong and after hospital appointments now think it definate asd x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now