Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

do your ASD children tire more easily?

(17 Posts)
lisad123isgoingcrazy Sun 18-Jul-10 11:24:11

Both my girls need a full 12 hours otherwise grumps set in. Was having a convo with friend who's dd is always tired too. Im a little worried about the amount of time DD2 spends on the sofa, and plan to take her to GP (have put thread in health too) but wondered if its a ASD thing (although she has no dx yet)
TIA

ArthurPewty Sun 18-Jul-10 12:45:45

Message withdrawn

5inthebed Sun 18-Jul-10 12:52:19

DS2 tires quicker than his brothers do. He is exceptionally tired come Thursday/Friday after school and can barely kep his eyes open past 6pm on a Friday.

He has been known to power nap on a Saturday becuase he is just so tired, usually about 3pm.

Goblinchild Sun 18-Jul-10 13:01:19

Physically no, my boy can walk me off my feet.
He does need a lot of sleep though, especially if he's had a day with a lot of input and stimulus. He finds functioning in the NT world a daily challenge, so if he's overloaded, he needs downtime or to be asleep.
Otherwise he's very hyper, aggressive and loses the plot in general!

coppertop Sun 18-Jul-10 13:04:42

Ds1 tires easily in the sense that his floppy muscle tone means that it takes much more of an effort to do physical activities. He often needs to sit down but doesn't need very much sleep at all.

Ds2 doesn't need much sleep at all.

ArthurPewty Sun 18-Jul-10 13:05:24

Message withdrawn

borderslass Sun 18-Jul-10 13:23:38

It's the opposite with my ds when little he probably never slept more than about 4 or 5 hours from the age of 2 even now[16] he only sleeps longer at weekends falls asleep about 2 or 3am and up at 6 for school pickup at 7.15 thank god he's on holiday for another 4 weeks.

IndigoBell Sun 18-Jul-10 13:26:02

No, my ASD son doesn't need any more than average sleep - but my dyslexic DD needs an awful lot of sleep and tires very easy. I do attribute this directly to her brain working differently, so she is mentally tired, well absolutely exahausted really, from a day at school.

ASD and dyslexia often co-exist though...

5inthebed Sun 18-Jul-10 13:32:28

DS2 neds meatonin to sleep, so despite him being extremelly tired he would only sleep for 3 hours before he woke again

tiredmummyoftwo Sun 18-Jul-10 13:36:26

DS hardly needed more than 5 hours sleep as a baby and could go on till 2-3 in the morning at 1-3 without having a day time nap. He is much better now and sleeps for 8-9 hours on a normal day (school days) and about 7 hours on weekends (he does not know days of the week, but some how his body clock knows and always up early in the morning on weekends). He is never tired and non-stop on the go, although he does not have ADHD (apparently he can concentrate very well), there is not a second you will find him sitting around. He loves us reading books to him, but while he is climbing over the sofa!!!! We sometimes wonder how he can function so well with so little sleep sometimes!!!!

keepyourmouthshutox Sun 18-Jul-10 14:08:45

Ds, 8 goes to sleep at 10:30 pm and gets up at 7:00am. He does need quite a lot of time to chill out - after school, after an outing with the family, he will go into his room and listen to music. However, he is very active physically.

TheCrunchyside Sun 18-Jul-10 14:59:07

Yes but I think that is down to low iron levels more than the ASD

ShadeofViolet Sun 18-Jul-10 15:53:54

DS has a massive amount of energy and is not stop all day. He is always on the move and I am more tired out than he is by the end of it, but when he drops (about 8pm) he really drops and then he starts stimming badly.

sugarcandymonster Sun 18-Jul-10 16:00:00

DS only seems to need about 8 hrs sleep at age 11, lots of energy and always climbing or fidgety unless at computer or reading.

Worth having tests if you're worried about them, could be related to diet or metabolism.

BigWeeHag Sun 18-Jul-10 19:46:21

DS1 is permanently knackered but only sleeps from about 11pm/ midnight through to 7 or so with a couple of wakings in that time. He is always shattered, poor little sod.

sc13 Mon 19-Jul-10 14:14:56

DS is like the Duracell bunny. He often has an afternoon nap, though, and goes to sleep rather early (and sleeps through anything, but that could be his mum's genes).

ShadeofViolet Mon 19-Jul-10 16:51:41

Well I have jinxed myself with this thread - DS has fallen asleep this afternoon and the same yesterday afternoon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now