Talk

Advanced search

Naomi no speech therapy available

(5 Posts)
MamaNaomi Mon 14-Sep-09 15:32:23

Help! Need to find a short course (a few months) in the UK to come and study speech and language therapy to help my daughter as unable to get adequate help in Nigeria, West Africa. Unlike you have in the UK.
Naomi my 3 year old was diagnosed with Down Syndrome @ 14 months. They missed it at birth?? She never had any medical problems, now walking, potty trained, in Montessorri school but expressive language is so limited, it is frustrating her and I don't know how else to help.
Based on what I research online, have helped her along somewhat but know we could do better if I knew how.
Would like to train in such a course and help Naomi and others here who are in dire need of same but may not be able to travel as know I have to do before it is too late for Naomi.
Kindly provide information of where I may enquire about a Short term course in Speech and Language Therapy to provide this much needed early intervention.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 14-Sep-09 15:41:13

You might be better off learning Makaton (you can do that distance as well as in person in the UK). Lots of research showing its use for Down Syndrome in particular - and how it brings on speech in this group.

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 14-Sep-09 15:42:03

Here Makaton

bethylou Sat 03-Oct-09 22:32:16

Have you looked at the UK Down Syndrome Association website? They have advice and support on all sorts of things for parents and professionals and run lots of courses here and abroad. Agree about Makaton - and look out for 'Teaching reading to teach talking: See and Learn' too for developing vocabulary. I'm not so sure on the specific development of speech sounds though I'm afraid.

bethylou Sun 04-Oct-09 20:54:10

I know a family who used to go on intensive family speech and language holidays every Summer and used to find them very beneficial. I think they do sessions with the child but alos teaching sessions for the parents. The webiste is below. Might be worth a look.

www.symboluk.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now