Talk

Advanced search

Homework for dyslexic son

(2 Posts)
tomal Wed 09-Sep-09 07:30:24

Hi, my son was diagnosed with dyslexia in May. He has just gone into Yr3 and is receiving 45 minutes of 1:1 each week (15 minutes 3 times a week). His first homework from his support teacher is to recite the alphabet.

My question is whether this is appropriate for a dyslexic? He struggles with sequences (apparently a common feature of dyslexia) and has never quite managed to say or sing the whole of the alphabet in the correct order. He also gets muddled up with letter names and thinks it's "E,S,G" for example.

I thought that the teacher would be concentrating on phonics with him as he is still very weak with some individual letters and blends.

I have a homework book from her that I can comment in, but am worried that it is a bit early to be criticising!
Any thoughts?

maverick Wed 09-Sep-09 08:37:59

You're absolutely correct -what a waste of time! And, as you so sensibly say, his support teacher should be concentrating on systematically teaching him the Alphabet Code using a highly structured, systematic, synthetic phonics remedial programme.

The Alphabet sequence has nothing whatsoever to do with teaching reading.

You might like to look at the following page of time-wasting activities often used with dyslexics.

www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/resources_and_further_18.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now