Advanced search

Paed appointment tomorrow. advice needed please.

(4 Posts)
EccentricaGallumbits Mon 13-Jul-09 19:13:50

DD2 has paed appt tomorrow. She's been seen a few times over the last 2 years for ongoing non-specific abdo pain and nausea (constant, all the time) without any medical cause. she has had loads of blood tests and an endoscopy. we tried GF diet for a while which mad a bit of difference but not a huge one.

Anyway - long story short- she also has loads of other issues, lots of weird behaviour stuff. is rather obsessive, volatile, takes things utterly literally, among other stuff.

I am almost convinced she has aspergers. she fits quite a lot of aspergers 'symptoms'.

Do I tell the Dr tomorrow this is what I think is the problem? How? would it make any difference to her?

I've been putting off accepting this for about 8 years now (DD is 11).
Should I do anything about it?

DLI Mon 13-Jul-09 20:27:40

i would mention it to the peadiatrician. she may have aspergers but she may also have something else (or she may not have anything). if she has had blood tests in the past they may be able to rule certain conditions out straight away!

the paediatrician may refer her to a psychologist or occupational therapist for further assessments.

ohbabygivemeonemorechance Tue 14-Jul-09 13:51:56

describe the issues themselves,

behaviour,at home,at school
early development
schoolwork/academic performance
social skills/problems

also which professionals[HV,GP,teachers] have told you of difficulties,if any

think about what you think the main problems are that she is having/you are concerned about

just as an aside,a serious condition like crohns disease can present like this,so always keep an open mind as even endoscopy can be normal depending on which partof the bowel is affected.Is her weight normal?

best of luck for tomorrowx

TurtleAnn Thu 16-Jul-09 21:44:36

Get a Speech and Language Therapist involved - they often work with paediatricians to support disgnosis of autism and aspergers.

SaLT's also have a remit to support kids with social skills difficulties as well as language problems and speech impairments.

School SENCo can refer or you can refer yourself via GP or by writing to local PCT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now