Talk

Advanced search

I think DD (nearly 6) has dyslexia

(10 Posts)
minko Fri 19-Jun-09 09:53:42

Stumbled into a blog last night about a child with dyslexia and think it sounds exactly like DD. She is miles behind at school, struggles with reading, writing and maths though is very bright in other areas, very creative and interested in how things work.

I helped out at school yesterday afternoon and could see that whilst all the other kids looked excited at solving problems (counting money and change), my DD just sat looking desperate and scared.

I sat reading the Dyslexia website and almost got excited as it all sounds exactly like her, even though it is quite a scary prospect. I am going to go and speak to the teacher about being tested.

Any advice about what to expect and where to go from here?

minko Fri 19-Jun-09 11:28:16

bump

minko Fri 19-Jun-09 16:15:47

Well, no takers so far but I will persevere!

Been to see DD's teacher this afternoon and she says DD is too young to be assessed as yet and that Surrey Ed won't make a diagnosis before she is 7. She was keen to point out that DD is making progress, but does she see the same frustration, tears and lack of confidence that we get at home???

I think we will go ahead with a private assessment as I'm told an early diagnosis is 'crucial'...

mummyrex Fri 19-Jun-09 19:35:55

Hi minko

Unfortunately it is very difficult to get any help or assesement until much later, and you are right, the earlier to start to remediate the better.
I grew very frustrated trying to get help for my DS. He is very bright but by the end of Year 1 still could not write his own 3-letter name! I ended up going it myself and amongst other things used this program with him and infact have used it to teach his younger non-dyslexic siblings too!

Good luck!

maverick Sat 20-Jun-09 14:42:59

Do read the following page before you go for an assessment 'Should I have my child assessed?' :
www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/should_I_have.htm

aprilflowers Tue 23-Jun-09 20:46:07

My son didn't get assessed until 9 years. As a result his self esteem and self confidence was severely damaged. As a result of the diagnosis he realises he is a bright boy with a specific problem "dyslexia" - yes it does exist. Myself and the school have worked to show that dyslexia can result in great gifts and many brilliant thinkers, inventors, artists, scientists are/were dyslexic. With the diagnosis you can get appropriate intervention and support.
Contact your local dyslexia association for further information

mulranno Sat 27-Jun-09 20:53:29

My sister is an Educational Psychologist and says that no one will do an assesment before 7 years of age as "errors" could well be age appropriate... if a private ed psy offers this before 7 they are not working within the code. I have been down this road...it was very obvious that my dd had a problem ...but we had to wait it out til she was 7. The assessment is critical, specific and unique to your child. Dyslexia is an umbrella term and each child has a unique "profile" of strenghts and weaknesses which a IEP will then be built around. Self esteem is the main issue....do loads of what she is good at. Dyslexia is often about imbalance where the childs profile is quite extreme ...so they may well be far far advanced in some areas...we shoud concentrate on getting them to thrive here

carocaro Wed 15-Jul-09 23:18:29

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/pages/information/parents-guardians.php

this is a good site too

my ds1 is 7 and was diagnosed at 6.5, fab teacher and SENCO at his school

would typre more but too tired, will pick up on Thurs

pickyvic Wed 15-Jul-09 23:23:09

hi minko

i would also just start to research associated coding disorders such as dyspraxia and aspergers etc..

my son has aspergers, dyspraxia and dyslexia. he wasnt dx with dyslexia until he was 17, there are some very easy assessments that can be done - his was picked up from doing a 20 min computer test called the LADS test at college - it highlighted major difficulties so they got an ed psyce in who confirmed it. now the LADS stands for lucid adult dyslexia screening but im sure there must be an equivalent for kids??

TurtleAnn Thu 16-Jul-09 21:57:10

EP's can be expensive privately, a SaLT will be cheaper and will be able to determine whether your DD has dyslexia or a more general language difficulty.

Private SaLT's can be found here www.helpwithtalking.com, but you can go through school to get an NHS Speech & Language Therapist. Difficulties explaining how maths problems are solved, solving worded maths problems, remembering things, are all indicators that would get a referal to an SaLT. SENCo can make a referral to local NHS service.

If it is decided that DD has dyslexia, EP assessment is definately a benefit and will be the primary report that supports getting help in school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now