Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Down's syndrome at Nursery

(8 Posts)
scoggins Sun 07-Jun-09 10:20:41

We are about to have a 3yr old with DOwn's syndrome start at our Nursery - does anyone have any experience of this both teacher and parent - would love some top tips to make it a successful start. Would love to know what parents found helpful and reassuring.
Thanks

TotalChaos Sun 07-Jun-09 21:29:05

more people will see this if you repost this on the SN board. No personal experience of Downs Syndrome, just language delay. But would say that in general - the parent is the expert in their own child, even if they don't have the qualifications! so take what they say very seriously as to what their child's difficulties/strengths/preferences etc are. I imagine a big issue will be around language/communication, and what support may be needed in that regard (e.g. does the child use signing/PECs as well as speech, what level of understanding are they at (as in how many key words in a sentence they can understand).

scoggins Sun 07-Jun-09 23:38:06

I thought this was the SN board!!! Oops! rookie mumsnetter.
Child has a few single words and is learning Makaton

TotalChaos Mon 08-Jun-09 09:21:37

you might find it useful to have some photos of nursery activities etc to hand explain what's going to happen next/offer choices if the child's understanding of language is also delayed. in general - keep language simple and consistent - and allow lots of time for a response, whether it's a nod/gesture or attempt at word or sign

mistlethrush Mon 08-Jun-09 09:47:23

The nursery ds was at had a lovely little girl with ds - the mother was doing signing with her dd, and lots of the staff did some signing training so that they could assist with that.

Dingle Wed 22-Jul-09 19:40:16

I am the parent of a 7 yr old DD who has DS. I have personally been "fighting the system" since she was 3 yrs old and started nursery to get her appropriately supported in mainstream. I have had to endure the tribunal system to even get our LEA to assess her needs and after many years of trying to get my DD included and differentiated for I have given up on mainstream and threatened tribunal yet again to get her into a SN school. She starts there in September in Y3.

During this time I supported a friends little boy who also has Down Syndrome ,in his private nursery for 6 hours a week. At this point I had had no previous professional childcare experience.

I am now just completing my NVQ3 in CCLD and work in a local pre-school.

I'd like to think I could offer you some advice if you have any concerns but like any other child- their needs may be very individual. There are some more general pointers, visual clues, visual timetables, sign (check with parents which sign they use-I use signalong).

If you want to email me- you can find my email addy on my crafty blog HERE

bethylou Sat 03-Oct-09 22:40:37

Lots of good advice above. Does your authority have a pre-school/0-3 support team? Ours will go in to any nursery/pre-school and support the staff with training/preparing for the child to come in/IEPs etc..

Have you checked out the Down Syndrome Educational Trust website? Lots of useful info on there. Also try the Early Support pack - there is one specifically aimed at parents of children with DS but contains lots of useful info for any interested party. Pupils with DS have a specific learning profile which might interest you too to see a more long term view.

Sorry to hear about your fights Dingle - shouldn't have to be that way. In Warwickshire parents choose whether they want mainstream or special schooling for their children with DS.

cat64 Sat 03-Oct-09 22:45:35

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now