Talk

Advanced search

Online courses on Speech and Language therapy for parents

(7 Posts)
tiredmummyoftwo Sat 16-May-09 13:47:09

Hi, I am new to mumsnet, so I will give a bit of background info to introduce mysefl, although I have been reading the posts on special needs for the last 6 months. I have a DS who had an Childhood autism diagnosis at 2.5. He is now 3.10, verbal, communicates in 4-6 words sentences, very clear on what he wants, and so far no learning difficulties been identified. We have recently moved out of the UK, what a blessing!!! A year of diagnosis, only 2 SALT visits in the UK with no real input as he was way ahead of what she was recommending. For the last three months we had ABA therapy for our son and he is already complying 100%, tantrums are nearly non-existent, understanding is at 63% according to therapist. So fingers crossed. But the downside of moving out of the UK is that the schools here have no special need provision and so there is no help at all at school. The SALT here are recommending more hours(he does two hours a day. 10hrs a week of therapy)to get him to catch up but they are unable to provide any extra hours due to long hours they are working. So only other way we can increase his hours is for me to spend more time with him. NO problem with that as we have a maid who can look after DS2 grin.

So I am hoping MN could recommend some online course for me on ABA therapy, or any speech and language therapy, so I get the basics on how to work on DS1. His main areas of diffulties are-yet not asking any question (did ask where for a while, does not any more), question differenciation is very poor, although can answer who and what question. He can't do two way conversations, can't answer what are you doing question.

Any recommendations on how to improve on this will be appreciated.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 16-May-09 13:50:55

Sorry that I cannot help with your question directly.

What I can suggest though is that you post this on the Special Needs forum of this website as you will get more replies that way. Its gets more traffic than this one. There are also some SALT's who post on there occasionally and some other posters have knowledge of ABA.

maverick Sat 16-May-09 20:29:22

tiredmuumy, this website may be useful:

www.talkingpoint.org.uk/ Speech, language and communication difficulties in children.

MaggieBee Fri 29-May-09 20:09:35

Well, do you have a psychology degree? To do the ABA course, I think a psychology degree is a prerequisite.

Maverick, that website looks interesting.

Amapoleon Fri 29-May-09 20:13:06

Moondog is a salt, pm her, she's very knowledgeable.

juliaw Mon 01-Jun-09 15:04:38

You could look at the teachmetotalk.com dvd + podcasts for info on speech therapy ideas (not ABA - she pushes a floortime approach), I have not seen the DVD yet but have seen others post about it and say whilst the therapist is a bit irritating (and certainly her podcasts could be a fraction of the length!) the DVD is useful to see how she as a SALT works with children. There are also tips on the website eg re use of toys etc to promote language. Can you tell me about ABA? I am thinking of this for my son who is not yet diagnosed but on the brink of being so (also at 2.5). My son is verbal but mainly just recites stuff his functional words are few and far between and I have difficulty getting him to respond to me or allow me to set the agenda at all. I am thinking he needs some ABA type approach to get us to the point where he is receptive to learning / talking. How many hours did you do a week to see a difference in 3 months?

MamaNaomi Mon 14-Sep-09 12:34:02

Help! Need to find a short course (a few months) in the UK to come and study speech and language therapy to help my daughter as unable to get adequate help in Nigeria, West Africa. We don't have the resources you have in the UK.

Naomi my 3 year old was diagnosed with Down Syndrome @ 14 months. They missed it at birth?? She never had any medical problems, now walking, potty trained, in Montessorri school but expressive language is so limited, it is frustrating her and I don't know how else to help.

Based on what I research online, have helped her along somewhat but know we could do better if I knew how.

Would like to train in such a Speech course and help Naomi and others here who are in dire need of same but may not be able to travel as know I have to do before it is too late for Naomi.

Kindly provide information of where I may enquire about a Short term course in Speech and Language Therapy to provide this much needed early intervention.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now