Advanced search

Dyslexia / Dyscalculia - a quick question about qualifications please

(8 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Tue 31-Mar-09 22:15:31

I'm thinking about retraining - specialising in dyslexia / dyscalcula possibly?

What sort of qualifications would be expected or desired to be able to become part of a SEN department?

I already have the 'teacher' bit of the qualification covered, what next?


maverick Wed 01-Apr-09 21:09:04

Have a look at the Sound Reading System -5 days training. It will enable you to teach anyone of any age to read and spell, dyslexics included.

bramblebooks Wed 01-Apr-09 21:53:32

You need to look at bangor university's dyslexia training. That's the gold standard ats that schools accept for specialist teachers in our authority.

I studied a 4 year post grad masters in SEN to qualify for my role in more depth - worth every minute! (I don't think the Bangor course is that long though!).

Look for something which is accredited to give you ats status if you aren't in Bangor's area. There may be training courses on offer via your LEA if you are in a current teaching post.

Good luck. It's a challenging and rewarding job.

Peachy Fri 24-Apr-09 19:17:16

Caerleon Uni (University of wales Newport) also does a Masters in SEN, you get to specialise (I was / am accepted for study focussing on AD if I can ever afford it, they certainly do Dyslexia / dyspraxia as well as a fewotehrs and a general route)

Peachy Fri 24-Apr-09 19:20:33


I can recommend the Uni from my experiences as an undergrad but cannot compare to Bangor as its only 5 minutes walk away LOL so nevcer looked any further grin

ramonaquimby Fri 24-Apr-09 19:23:55

lots of universities will offer a Master's specialzing in various areas of SEN (not just the Welsh ones flagged up here!!)

are you teaching at the moment
could you volunteer or do some supply work in a special school or unit to see hands on what it's like?

5minspeace Tue 09-Jun-09 14:19:28

I am also interested in retraining to do the same but am having difficulty finding OU courses, have you had any luck?

mummyrex Wed 10-Jun-09 11:02:18

5mins - If you look at the OU's master of Education courses there is a 'difficulties with literacy' (or similar) module which can (I think) be converted/accredited to a Dyslexia qualification

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now