Talk

Advanced search

Wrist off paper to write...

(3 Posts)
asteamedpoater Thu 25-Sep-08 17:35:56

I thought maybe someone with a dyspraxic or low tone/hypermobile child might have some ideas on how to get a child out of the habit of doing this from OT sessions (which are not yet forthcoming for my son, but hopefully will be)... I know that writing slopes or even wrist weights are supposed to help, but are there any exercises a child can do to encourage him to let his wrist rest on the page when he writes, so that he uses the muscles in his hand rather than his arm to write with??? I suspect colouring in is a good exercise for strengthening the right muscles and getting you to understand the benefit of letting your wrist rest on the page, but of course my son hates and has always hated doing that (largely because he can't work out how to do it...). We do lots of work on the blackboard, with playdough, etc, for general strengthening and stability of his shoulder, arm and hand muscles, but are hoping there is something more we can do about the way he is trying to write, as he doesn't seem to be growing out of it.

Any ideas???

LIZS Fri 26-Sep-08 08:39:43

check his chairis at the correct height so he islt leaning over from too far above or below, has his abck against the chair back and feet flat on the floor. ds uses a slope , or what about a gel wrist support for a keyboard.

christywhisty Fri 26-Sep-08 11:59:49

What pen is he using?

Have you tried pens like the stabilo smove (comes in left or right version and also a pencil version) or the yoro pen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now