Talk

Advanced search

Bristol LEA going for co-location and not inclusion!

(8 Posts)
SaintRiven Thu 25-Sep-08 09:25:22

Just seen their draft report setting out co-location for secondary schools rather than inclusion of disabled children. This takes away parental choice (oh, we have a special unit you must use rather than mix with other children).
FFS, the aim was to move towards inclusion with full funded support,not more bloody ghetto's.
grrrr

TotalChaos Thu 25-Sep-08 09:30:11

Can they legally do that, do you think?

SaintRiven Thu 25-Sep-08 11:32:29

seems that way. We are challenging it of course. I didn't fight for dd to be mainstreamed and then at 11 have her parked back in a ghetto.

vjg13 Thu 25-Sep-08 13:36:08

It must be a new fashion. Manchester are in the process of rebuilding all the special secondary schools on the same sites as high schools with some shared facilities.

SaintRiven Thu 25-Sep-08 17:13:20

I want to see full inclusion (not co-location) in all schools with proper support.

TotalChaos Thu 25-Sep-08 19:26:15

so do you not want there to be any special schools Riven? Also do you have country model in mind who does inclusion better than UK?

vjg13 Thu 25-Sep-08 19:31:05

I think you've got to have both. I was all for inclusion and it works really well at nursery level but I want my child in a special school for her secondary education.

SaintRiven Fri 26-Sep-08 12:26:19

Yeah, we need both and we need parental choice and we need to know why secondary schools are so shit we don't think disabled kids could cope at them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now