Talk

Advanced search

Disgraphia

(6 Posts)
mogs0 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:13:14

Does anyone know much about this?

I've just been doing a bit of research online and think maybe both ds and I have this. Can anyone recommend any books to help? Also, is it something the school will be aware of? If I made an appointment with ds' teacher about it would she just think I was being a fussy parent? His last teacher had labelled him as lazy after 3 weeks of teaching him because he took forever to write a sentence about the story they'd read in class so I'm not very confident about approaching school without having more information.

cornsilk Sat 20-Sep-08 20:15:22

unlikely school will be aware of this unless you have a SEN teacher in school. (different from SENCO)Have you considered a private assessment?

mogs0 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:18:49

Until 2 hours ago I hadn't even heard of dysgraphia so, no, hadn't considered a private assessment. Where would I do that?

mimsum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:41:31

ds1 has terribly messy handwriting - he has Tourette's and the two often go together - unfortunately his messy handwriting goes hand in hand with an obsessive perfectionism, which can mean starting and finishing a piece of work can take forever as he's constantly crossing out and tearing out pages and starting again

I tried doing write from the start with him and although it helped his younger brother no end, he just wouldn't do it ditto the handwriting rescue scheme school tried with him

His LSA will scribe for him sometimes if he's having real problems getting something down on paper and he uses a computer for much of his homework, but he has a statement so the school expects to have to differentiate for him

mogs0 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:46:09

Is "write from the start" workbooks or guidance books?

cornsilk Sat 20-Sep-08 21:51:58

write from the start is a set of photocopiable books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now