Advanced search

Senci hates me, wont help my kids, what do I do, PART 2

(24 Posts)
loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 09:21:18

My youngest is also due to start full time in September, He has chronic asthma, and the school are refusing to give him his inhalers. He is unable to do them himself, as his hypotonia and Hypermobility Syndrome are quite severe, and his thumb has to be in strapping just to hold a pencil without his thumb subluxing.He can't press down on the inhaler. He also has GDD, autistic spectrum TENDENCIES, as well as the problems already mentioned. This means that the school are even refusing to give him emergency treatment when he needs it. I have to travel all 3 of my kids to school by bus as the LEA didn't put my kids in either of the 2 closer schools. I have refractory epilepsy, and cant drive, if I am called to give him emergency treatment it will take me 1/2 an hour to get there, he could be dead by then! also if I have to go to the school to do his inhalers, the bus fares will cost me more (already paying £2100 per school year for bus fares for school, would be more if I have to go at lunchtime as well), it means I cannot have my medical treatment, as my hospital is 55 moles from me(nearest with an Epileptologist). AND if they wont even give inhalers, how will they be about my eldests Epilepsy meds which have to be given frequently, and/or her emergency Epilepsy meds? I am scared to send them, and it seems that EWO, LEA, parent partnership, AND TASCC don't have the answer to what I do between them. HELP!

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 09:29:08

OH and this has all started since I complained about the school, on the basis of the ICS regs. 4 years ago, my Eldest was in yr 2, class of 37,complained to LEA. 15 months ago, middle child finished reception, had 32 in class, complained to LEA as had been told only 29 in class,all year when I(and other parents) enquired as more parents in playground than that?!, they split his class for yr 1, but now due to reception yr of 90(instead of usual 60), HT has 14 classrooms and 15 classes, has put his class back together again. Now a class of 34, in yr 2, with more houses moved into over hols, only LEA school, other 2, one takes 60 per yr full stop, other takes 45, they will all be put in my kids school. So as it was my 3rd complaint in 4 yrs on Infant class sizes, I went to the DCFS. HT NOT happy!!!!

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 09:30:59

Are you sure parent Partnership can't help?Why not?
Have you tried IPSEA?

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 09:46:41

IPSEA wont help unless I go for a statement again, which I've been told I wont get. Daughter is on SA+, has been for 6+ years, maths targets still the same as when she was 5. Parent Partnership seems to go off levels given by teacher, which are NOT true levels, how does a 10yr old who doesnt know number bonds to 10 acheiving a level 2c in maths? Or how is she getting a level 3c in English, again 'teacher assessment', when she is 3 years behind with her comprehension (admitted verbally by Senco, wont give it in writing)??!! Having all manner of problems, and I know of 6 other parents with SEN kids who have pulled their kids out of this school due to the SENCO. I even have in writing that the Senco (and HT)is refusing to meet with me as there is nothing more that can be done. She only gets (is MEANT to be getting) 50 mins per week in a group of 4 for maths and 10 mins individual/week for reading. She hasn't even had THAT since May, as they are concentrating on the ones who can get level 4c in SATS, but need help. She's just being left to rot & I can't change school, none with place for her, closest with space for any/all 3 kids is 37 miles away,and I can't drive!

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 09:50:26

Oh they will all tell you you won't get a statement.It's a load of shit, and actually illegal. Apply for statement and if refused,take it to tribunal. It will be long heard and stressful but you have to show you mean business and will not be fobbed off.

Very sorry for yuo,you sound as if you are having a dreadful time. sad

twocutedarlings Fri 22-Aug-08 10:06:30

Totally agree with Moondog, you need to apply for a statement!!

Who told you that you wouldnt get one?

LIZS Fri 22-Aug-08 10:15:41

LMM you seem to be angry on various accounts of each fo your (3?) children which presumably makes it harder to consider an alternative school(s) and may not help in your relationship with SENCO and staff. Otherwise you already seem to have had a battery of assessments for each which is always not so typical.

Think you need to formulate an indvidual file for each, take advice from one of the bodies mentioned in earlier posts and arrange to meet someone from lEA. Also separate in yur mind the issues of what your children need to meet their specific needs from the general issue of class sizes etc which may not help them but is not directly relevant to the argument.

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 10:17:28

The LEA & the SENCO, our area favours difficulties in English higher that difficulties in Maths, found & got proof of THAT! Tried a year ago, am going to try again for my daughter, and also for my youngest son who needs one as well.(middle child actually 3 years ahead, at least I've got no worries there, except the school not stretching him enough!). No G&T at our school, they only like 'average' pupils, until SATS & league tables.

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 10:25:52

What proof?
If so,this isserious and you may need a specialist solicitor.

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 10:34:12

I somehow managed to get onto teachernet through a link, and have printed off the threads by a teacher at a SEN school in our area. Yes the issues are separete, but my HT WONT separate the issues, he is refusing to see me to discuss SEN/medical problems with me (this was put in writing) since I put in the complaint which was about my middle son's class (he has no SEN). The reason I seem so angry is that my eldest has fallen through the cracks in the education system for 6+ years, and still is, and I'm frightened of the same happening to my youngest. The first complaint I made to the LEA about the SENCO taking away her help for 5 months when she was on SA+, purely due to funding (mid yr SEN transfer due to house move). The SENCO has been awful ever since, has refused to attempt to use the SEN code of practice, and if there WAS an alternative school, believe me, I would meove them, but there are NONE with places in yr6 within 37 miles, I phone the LEA to ask fortnightly!

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 10:37:50

the other 2 schools that are close to me, she has been on the waiting list for 4 1/2 years (since before I moved here), and there are 8 children above her (still) for one, and 6 for the other. Our new school ( they are building it now) opens next year, when she goes to seniors!

moondog Fri 22-Aug-08 10:56:35

Are yuo documenting all this in writitng and proving where Code of Practice being broken? Verbal accusations and complaints are never listened to unfortunately.

mrz Fri 22-Aug-08 21:36:48

This gives you advice what to do if your LA won't assess your child. Contact Parent Partnership and ask for a meeting with them and the school.

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 22:57:50

I have asked parent partnership to accompany me to a meeting with the school, but the SENCO at the school wont agree!!, And yes, I have been writing it all down, and can prove that they have broken the SEN code of practice in at least 6 areas. If the SENCO AND HT wont meet with me, rhen how can I sort ANY of this out? PP say they can't help unless SENCO meets with us. (PP not separate from LEA in my area). Kind of at a loss, hitting brick walls every turn. Can you get legal aid for solicitors specialised in Education law?. I'm beginning to feel that's my only option. The school are not even willing to provide emergency medical treatment, let alone routine medication, and I CAN'T afford to travel to the school for extra journeys, I spend £2100/year on buses for school already(too close, but disabled kids can't walk 1.7 miles each way! Even MP tried to get transport costs, to no avail). With extra journeys added in, I will be spending nearly £3000/year, HALF my income! That would tip me over to where it would be a choice between going to give the kids their meds OR buying food for them!

loudmouthmum Fri 22-Aug-08 23:06:22

Thank you mrz, I already have this downloaded, and the longer version also. Doesn't help much when the LEA are saying that they have no control over how the SEN budget is spent (devolved budget), and SENCO & HT are reluctant to HAVE to spend the money on the child, as they would if they had full statements, with the devolved budget, my kids being on SA+, they don't have to 'prove' where the money's gone. I AM requesting the documents SHOWING where the money is being spent, though, when they go back, under the freedom of Information Act, as if the funds have been mis-spent, I know I will have a better case!

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 23:10:41

I would be tempted to get in contact with these and see what they say. They are very good.

mrz Sat 23-Aug-08 08:13:33

You can make a request for a meeting with the school using the LEA as a go between perhaps they will be more responsive to an official request.
I agree SA+ doesn't mean much in legal terms of guaranteeing provision as children with statements will always be priority for what isn't a huge SEN budget. You really need to be pushing for a statement and you don't need the SENCO to do so. Your doctor /specialist can also request EP involvement if the school won't co operate.

loudmouthmum Sat 23-Aug-08 19:20:27

So her pediatrician who co-ordinates her treatment for her medical probs can request an EP visit? I was told by the LEA that the only way to see the EP was if the SENCO put you forward (in my lEA,anyway!). I take her for an appointment on the 8th September...

mrz Sat 23-Aug-08 20:58:06

Parents can request an assessment if they believe that their child has special educational needs that are either not being met through school-based intervention, or are so substantial that a mainstream school could not meet them from within their own resources. Parents of very young children with complex needs may also request an assessment. (SEN Code of practice chapter 7).

"Routes for referral
7:7 A child will be brought to the LEA’s attention as possibly requiring an assessment through:
 a request for an assessment by the child’s school or setting
 a request for an assessment from a *parentt or
 a referral by another agency."(Paediatrician/doctor etc)

mrz Sat 23-Aug-08 20:58:53

This is the law it applies to all LEAs.

loudmouthmum Sun 24-Aug-08 00:11:49

Cheers, will DEFINATELY go this route, am much more likely to get somewhere if doctor can do it. How many of her doctors do I ask to refer her, or would it be overkill to ask them all? And which one would be best? 1) Co-ordinating pediatrician (next appt. 8th Sept)
2) Audiologist (next appt. 6th Oct)
3) ENT Consultant (next appt. 14th Oct)
4) Pediatric Cardiologist (next appt. 10th Oct)
5) Pediatric Neurologist (waiting for 1st appt.)
6) School Doctor (next appt. 18th Sept)
Thing is, co-ordinating pediatrician communicates with Cardiologist & Neurologist, and School Doctor communicates with ENT Consultant and IS the Audiologist as well?! So do I ask both? or all of the above?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 24-Aug-08 07:15:45

The best person to apply for a Statement is actually yourself. You have more power in this regard than they do - you can appeal if the LEA say no. You don't need anyone's permission to apply and if you do so yourself you know its been done then. Asking any of the people you cite to do it could take even more months before they decide to put pen to paper (if they even bother this side of Christmas that is).

If the LEA agree to assess (and that's the first tricky bit) they will write to those people you cite for reports.

mrz Sun 24-Aug-08 08:07:04

I agree parents referrals are more effective but you have to be prepared to shout loudly (metaphorically) ask for back up statements from anyone involved.

loudmouthmum Mon 25-Aug-08 23:42:49

problem is, I did that last year, and the LEA refused to even assess. I just hope I get a bit further this time! They based their decision on the fact that the EP report was 4 1/2 years old (therefore out of date), and the SENCO won't let her see the EP, and I wanted to go private for the EP assessment, as I believe that it will be the only way I can get the LEA to assess her is to have an up to date EP report, but I can't afford it on benefits, and I'm not well enough to go back to work (am signed off sick, waiting to hear about disability benefits, only getting CTC/CHB and £60.50/week for myself, and bus fares to school for me & kids are now £34.00/week, will be £43.50/week in November when ds2 is 5). Can't find a private EP that doesn't cost about £350-£400!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: