Advanced search

When should I start to think about getting my DS2 a statement?

(8 Posts)
mm22bys Sun 10-Aug-08 20:56:41

DS2 is 20 months, but is developmentally delayed, and we are thinking he will probably need a statement.

When should we start thinking about this? We have a review with the Child Development Team tomorrow. I am not happy with them, and we haven't seen them since September, but am thinking they would probably be useful in helping us get DS2 a statement.

When should we start thinking about getting him a statement, and who do we need to approach to get the ball rolling?


Flocci Sun 10-Aug-08 23:09:55

START ASAP. We knew my dd would need a statement from when she was 18 months old and were told by everyone, absolutely everyone, even people we really trust to hold back until nearer school starting age. We did that and then aged 3 I said sod you all we are doing this now, and after 16 months we are nowhere near getting it sorted and she starts school next January and everything is up in the air. It takes FOREVER.

Main argument is that the thing will be out of date by the time she starts school, but the point is it gets constantly revised and reassessed anyway. I really wish we had started when she was a baby. better to actually have an out of date statement which can be revised than not to have one at all. it would also have made the school application proces much smoother - we have had to go through 2 procedures, one as if she had a statement and one assuming she won't get one - it's just a joke.

We started with her paediatrician who referred us to portage who then referred us to an educational psychologist which really properly got things moving. If you don't have the right links to these people or they won't help because they think it is too early then you can go directly to your Local Authority and just request an assessment yourself and that gets things moving.

Good luck ..... you'll need it.

bigcar Mon 11-Aug-08 12:16:09

We started the whole process when dd3 was just coming up to 2 in march. Everything takes so long! Dd3s case should be going to panel in september and then after that the statement itself has to be agreed on. She could be in the school nursery after easter and I really don't want her starting without the right support in place. So it's not necessarily that you want a statement in place by full time school, you may want everything in place for nursery.

You could ask any professional involved to help with the referral to the educational psychologists or you can do it yourself by ringing and asking for the forms. I would also recommend you check out parent partnership in your area (I found a link through the council website) they should be good for a fair bit of advice and should point you in the right direction.

moondog Mon 11-Aug-08 12:18:34

Yes, get thee to SNAP/Parent Partnership. Every Education Authority has one. Ring and ask if necessary.

GentleOtter Mon 11-Aug-08 12:20:00

Start right away and keep at them as it is such a long drawn out process.
And yes, good luck and lots of patience!

sarah293 Mon 11-Aug-08 12:22:41

Message withdrawn

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 18-Aug-08 14:48:23

Seek help and information as well from organisations like IPSEA and SOS;SEN.

Parent Partnership can be closely associated with the LEA in question and are thus not fully independent of them. If you use your PP bear that in mind.

Be prepared for a long and drawn out process. You may ultimately have to go to Tribunal to get what you want from a Statement.

mrz Fri 22-Aug-08 21:57:39


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: