Talk

Advanced search

Makaton Sign Language. Help Please

(24 Posts)
MaggsS Thu 07-Aug-08 14:42:51

I have a 2 year old who was born with a cleft lip and palette.She is a beautiful girl and has been through a lot of surgery.
She has quite bad hearing which has led to speech problems.
She is at the age of tanturms etc and her frustration at not being able to say what she wants is causing her so much frustration.
She loves watching " Mr Tumble" and "Something Special" and I believe the Makaton signing may help.
Our speech theripist agrees and has forwarded on our notes to another department but she says this may take awhile.
I cannot wait. I want to help her now.
Any advise anyone please??

Dragonbutter Thu 07-Aug-08 14:44:15

what sort of thing do you want to sign?

Dragonbutter Thu 07-Aug-08 14:47:42

this dvd is a bit dated but still good.

Something special is a great way to learn the signs too.

The thing to remember with Makaton is that you must say the word as well as sign it.

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 14:47:45

this might help you. You can buy some BBC videos with signing in them, before Justin did it there used to be another presenter who signed.

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 14:48:08

Dave! That's him.

Dragonbutter Thu 07-Aug-08 14:48:39

Dave Benson Phillips

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 14:48:44

You can use symbols as well as signing.

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 14:58:50

If you bought something like this it would have all the symbols you need

MaggsS Thu 07-Aug-08 15:29:21

Thanks for the help and advice.

I basically want to understand what she wants to eat or drink, what she wants to play etc. Simple things that you take for granted with hearing children ( I have 2 older children )

The NHS is just so slow and sometimes I just feel so helpless. I also live in Southampton (where her hearing is tested ) but her speeech is done in Salisbury.They don't seem to comunicate so I end up chasing it myself.ARRRGH!!

angry

witchandchips Thu 07-Aug-08 15:31:48

could you make up some signs for things that justin does not do if it is just for communicating within your family?

Dragonbutter Thu 07-Aug-08 15:38:31

i took a makaton course at a child development centre by SALTs.
why not go back to the SALT and ask if she knows if there are any others who would benefit from a course and whether they would be interested in running one?
Would be useful for childminders and other health professionals working with kids.
Run it past them, offer to help with making up leaflets or advertising. They might be interested.

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 15:50:03

If it is only to be ued in the family, I agree with w&c. Make up your own signs or cut out/photograph/draw pictures of what she needs onto pieces of card. I use Makaton daily and it is very basic really, just simple signs 1e pretending to drink for, erm, drinking, etc grin.

MaggsS Thu 07-Aug-08 15:57:45

You have all been really helpful.

I will talk to SALT and see what they suggest.

Feel a bit happier now

Megglevache Thu 07-Aug-08 16:01:33

Maggss CAT me and I can give you some pointers. Used to teach babies sign.

Let me know if I can help you.

pellmell Thu 07-Aug-08 16:06:21

we did a communication board
We printed off small pics of foodstuff etc.
If you laminate them and stick strips of velcro on the back, your dd can then stick them onto a felt board.
I agree don't use them instead of speech but to accompany it.

shrinkingsagpuss Thu 07-Aug-08 16:26:23

PECs is good - just really what the others are saying, using symbols ot enhance speech, understanding and use of it. Makaton is very good too, because of its simplicity. I've just purchased a set of those Makaton cards for me for work!! ours are alays getting sticky!!

MaggsS Thu 07-Aug-08 16:38:29

Sorry whats PECs?

cocolepew Thu 07-Aug-08 20:46:18

PECS HTH

shrinkingsagpuss Thu 07-Aug-08 22:01:17

sorry. was in a hrry, and couldn't remember the long name (thanks for posting the link!!)

MaggsS Fri 08-Aug-08 14:29:22

Can you believe I had a phone call today from the speech therapist in Salisbury to sayshe could not refer me to Southampton as they would not accept the referal without my consent. I then had to ring up and refer her myself. If I had known this I would have done that months ago.
I feel so angry angry

cmotdibbler Fri 08-Aug-08 14:34:13

MaggsS- I've got some Makaton books that you'd be very welcome to - DS loves signing, but now his word acquisition is faster than signing so we don't need them anymore. If you'd like them CAT me your address and I'll pop them in the post.

MaggsS Fri 08-Aug-08 14:37:51

Thank you so much. Will CAT you now.

soremummy Fri 08-Aug-08 14:38:27

this might be helpful

MaggsS Fri 08-Aug-08 14:43:38

Thanks. Looks interesting.Will email local class

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now