Talk

Advanced search

Long shot. Is there anyone else fighting for a Placing Request appeal in Tayside?

(17 Posts)
GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 13:13:29

I just wondered if anyone else was going through the really harrowing task of fighting the council re placing requests.
I am finding that they are leaving any correspondence to the absolute last minute and generally being difficult and duplicitous about the whole issue.
I also do not understand the language they use and ultimately why a panel of three people who have never met my child can decide on which school my daughter will go to even if it is to her detriment.
God, I am absolutely desperate.sad

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 14:18:59

bump

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 15:35:13

Scotland- anywhere ? <widens net with hope>

seb1 Thu 17-Jul-08 15:52:07

You may get some info here Parentzone there is info on placement requests and also additional needs. HTH

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 16:31:27

Many thanks seb.

FromGirders Thu 17-Jul-08 16:35:02

Just wanted to day "hi" as you've got Tayside in the title. No suggestions, but a bump and best wishes.

Aefondkiss Thu 17-Jul-08 16:35:38

sorry I can't help GentleOtter, sounds stressful! and is there anyone on your side, to help you fight your corner?

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 16:41:28

I have had to see a lawyer about it but I don't think she is very interested. I have phoned umpteen organisations and looked up info on websites and my head is birling.
I really needed someone who has gone all through this with *one particular council* as they are being dreadful yet all complaints are routed through them!
We have only one crack at this appeal then I have no alternative but to self educate for a year and then try to reappeal. Not an ideal situation especially with a one year old baby as well.
I am almost demented.

seb1 Thu 17-Jul-08 17:18:51

also found these for you

Enguire

Enquire Factsheet

Choosing a school

HTH

cyberseraphim Thu 17-Jul-08 19:22:44

The Govan Law Centre Education Unit ( is for Scotland not just Govan !). They can help with appeals.

www.edlaw.org.uk/

www.ltscotland.org.uk/inclusiveeducation/

www.enquire.org.uk/

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 21:15:17

Thank you - all of you. There is a lot of good information on all of these links and I will phone about tomorrow.

Have any of you had to through an appeal? I'm quite apprehensive to be honest as so much is at stake.

My child asked if she could come as she wanted to tell them why she did not want to go to the school they have chosen for her. Would she be allowed to attend ?

GentleOtter Thu 17-Jul-08 21:17:26

Also, what happens with her IEP now especially if I have to home educate ?
Should I ask for a review of the CSP ?

saltnshake Sun 10-Aug-08 09:11:48

I might be too late to answer you but I know of someone in RL central Perth who has been through this. she had to go to appeal but got the outcome she wanted. Would you like me to ask her if you could contact her? she doesn't really do internet so would probbaly be by phone or in person.

GentleOtter Tue 12-Aug-08 13:23:15

I would be eternally grateful saltnshake.
I had sort of given up after we lost the appeal and am in a complete panic as to what happens next.
How do I get a phone number to you? Should I email the Mumsnet team ?

saltnshake Tue 12-Aug-08 20:20:44

Hi, I've sent CAT message with my email address. DH spoke to her today and she is happy to speak to you so just send me an email and I'll pass on her details. (If this CAT thing doesn't work, just get back to me here - I've not used it before!)

GentleOtter Tue 12-Aug-08 23:14:30

I sent (my first) CAT too and am not sure if it worked either! Thank you for speaking to her and we will get in touch.

GentleOtter Thu 14-Aug-08 12:27:58

Thank you saltnshake! I got your email this morning so will make contact with your friend.
This is a huge help to us and I am really grateful to you for helping. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now