Talk

Advanced search

Push along toys to help 2 year old walk

(7 Posts)
mamiguay Fri 11-Jul-08 19:33:10

Hi, my nephew was born prematurely and as a result of complications he is still learning to walk at 2.3 years old. He has various physio treatments ongoing but specifically his parents are looking for some kind of push along toy that he can use at home to encourage him to walk.

Unfortunately he is too tall for all the toys designed for this purpose which are obviously designed for a younger and shorter age group!

Can anyone suggest something that might help? Any websites catering for this kind of SN that might have something I could suggest to them?

Ideally it would be similar to a building block wagon that has a wide bar to hold and push. He tends not to use his left hand and they also need to encourage him to open it/ grasp things etc etc

I really wouldn´t know where to start looking, any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

anxiousmax Fri 11-Jul-08 20:20:00

There are several organisations/charities you could give SCOPE a call see if they have any ideas of suppliers or special needs toy lending schemes i think they may run one themselves.
Fledglings is also another one to try they are good at finding things if they don't have anything themselves.

When ds2 was at a similar age & stage his physio was the best person for suggesting equipment & toys, she was based at the sn school & the nursery had some very good toys that we were able to try.

mamiguay Sat 12-Jul-08 06:29:40

Thanks. We are in Spain and, at least where we live, the support is not too comprehensive. Their physio has such a toy but can´t tell them where to get one (!)

HairyMaclary Sat 12-Jul-08 07:27:19

It was about this age that we were given something called a posture walker, specifically a 'kaye walker'. My son has cerebral palsy but it sound does not have the difficulty with one side that your nephew has so I don't know if this would work. there are other types of walkers though. Our physio got this for us and provides all the other bits of equipment we need. Previous to getting the kaye walker we used a normal toddler trolley filled with bricks that we weighted down with 2 telephone directories, we he got too tall we added height to the handle by strapping bits of wood to it to increase the height.
You may get more responses if you repost in Special Needs rather than Special Educational Needs.
Hope this helps.

HairyMaclary Sat 12-Jul-08 07:28:10

sorry - it sounds - should have been deleted! must preview first!

mamiguay Sun 13-Jul-08 07:18:51

Thanks.. I was looking for a Special Needs topic as it didn´t really seem to apply to ´SEN´ but I can´t see it anywhere...

HairyMaclary Sun 13-Jul-08 07:57:46

It's at the bottom left column of the "being a parent' section!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now