Can they attend school whilst waiting for statment(9 Posts)
I have a 4 yr old son due to start school in September, have just recieved proposed statment and am not happy so have wrote back refusing it and requesting meeting. Does this mean that he can't start school in September and we have to wait to statment comes through again.
Also we are looking to dual place him with SNs schhol 2 days a week and mainstream 3 days.
Has anybody else managed to do this or not.
sory for spelling has been a long day.
You should ring up your head asap in late August early September, they might even be someone there next friday. My son went to mainstream whilst waiting for his statement to come through (it didn't come until the January I would also ring up your counties educational department in lincs as there will be someone there who could help you, there will be someone there even though its the holidays. What happened to my son 4 yrs ago might not be the same now. BTW have you got a partnership with Parents who could help you through your mediation. Good luck.
Thanks for that. i have left message for school but unfortunately they do not have a head teacher thisterm, deputy covering post for the term.
the school do know us , as eldest attends.
but i really don't think i can cope with him at home till final statment, so might ring his old nursery as a stop gap.
I think if you have the proposed Statement then there is no issue as to whether a Statement will eventually be issued and so you should be able to go with your 2 days/3days arrangement from the start (or is that the bit of the Statement that's up for debate? Has your council suggested a different arrangement?). I started my then-4 year old DS3 at mainstream while waiting for the full Statement to arrive last September, and it was fine but obviously no 1-to-1 support while we waited for the final thing.
I agree the Parent Partnership people are good, but you chould also have a SEN Caseworker at your council's Children's Services - now is the time to be ringing them every other day, chasing, reminding, nagging etc - I turned into a she-devil, but it definately sped things up.
I made the man from education cry whilst waiting for my LO statement to come through. I still to this day do not know what I said that made him cry, I was calm quiet and resonable in my opinion. Trying to get a Statement is hard work isn't it. I wish you all the good luck and heartfelt best wishes.
I had a dual placement. My son went to a Speech and Lanugage Unit on a morning and was taken by taxi (regular driver and thoroughly vetted) back to mainstream on an afternoon.
Eventually though, we realised that to benefit properly, he would need to attend the Speech & Lanugage Unit full-time and it has definitely paid off.
Good luck with the statement. I think it is one of the most mentally exhausting tasks I have ever been through, but stick with it - you will get there in the end.
Thank you for all your kind words and advice.
it has been along uphill struggle trying to prove that he has special needs and not down to the fact that he is adopted so is unsettled and will catch up.
but i will not be beaten before i try every avenue open to us.
well the most amazing thing happened this weekend, the new head popped round to see us at the weekend,and has said that son can attnd school full time from september and they will work something out to we get revised statment.she also explained that she doesn't think we will get dual placement, but told me not to worry and they will help him settle in as much as they can.
After she left i felt so much more relaxed about school.
now just have to convince other parents that he is a lovely child who likes playing by himself and not strange at all
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.