Talk

Advanced search

When to consult an Ed psych?

(2 Posts)
fyodor11 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:47:24

I have a Dd2 who is a twin born at 29 weeks in quite poorly condition, she has just started Y2. She has a range of difficulties but no diagnosis, coverage is poor in our area and she is rather borderline but dyspraxia and global development delay have been mentioned. She has a hearing aid for conductive hearing loss, profound speech disorder, and mild to moderate language disorder. She receives some SALT and is in booster groups at school (school is good with her, mainstream). She finished Y1 at working towards for core subjects and working at (with help - they changed the form) for the other subjects. She has hyper mobility and her handwriting is atrocious but improving, she can and does her spelling and times tables but it takes a lot of effort, she will not usually get them all right but in an acceptable ball park. She is at reading level 7, it is slow and painful but again improving, much better at sight words than blending. She is hanging on in there and is very willing, we work hard, but she struggles across all areas, processing, memory, motor, comprehension, phonics, she is not articulate so her level of work reflects her level of thinking, she is not being held back by a specific issue she is just slow to learn. We are willing to pay for Ed Psych but my question and concern is whether it would be useful at this stage. She doesn’t have a spiky profile, she may just have low IQ because of the difficulties of her birth. Should I wait until any strengths and weaknesses become more apparent so that assessment provides some helpful strategies? I am worried that she will just test poor across the board and does that really help us?
Thank you so much for reading, would really appreciate your collective experience.

twoyears Thu 03-Oct-19 08:56:50

I’m an educational psychologist, but don’t practise now so wouldn’t be in a position to advise you on whether it would be useful to find a psychologist at this point.

However, my major interest for some time has been in developing and researching activities that make learning effortless. We don’t think that any child should ‘struggle’ when learning. Some children will learn more slowly, but there is always an effortless ‘next step’.

Given that you’re ultimately looking for helpful strategies, some of ours might be relevant for your daughter, particularly where processing, comprehension, literacy and memory are concerned. Additionally, seeing her response to different strategies might make your decision easier. Your daughter sounds lovely!

If you think it’s worth a try (no charge) pm me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »