Talk

Advanced search

Speech disorder and reading

(3 Posts)
Bugsymalonemumof2 Sat 21-Sep-19 08:27:04

My 4 year old has just started school and has a fairly severe speech sounds disorder. We had to put a halt to SALT as she wasn't understanding what was being asked of her in terms of exercises nor able to recognise the differences in speech sounds.

More so I can be prepared will these impact on her ability to read? Should I expect her to be somewhat behind reading?

Surbitonsam Thu 17-Oct-19 08:53:13

It could well cause a problem with reading as all linked. It might be worth looking into dyslexia. My son was similar and has lots of red flags but because he is very bright he was able to keep up at school and so no help was provided. Only now he is 14 and faced with GCSEs and the resultant essay requirements do we realise that we should have done something sooner. If you have concerns, speak to the school.

Kuponut Fri 18-Oct-19 16:59:06

Not all doom and gloom - my youngest started school with minimal intelligible speech - but managed to crack reading and phonics well and was at greater depth in y1, full marks in phonics check and everything.

Just to give you possibly some hope!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »