Talk

Advanced search

Dyslexia/ dyscalculia help please!

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Louise4765 Wed 18-Sep-19 21:44:36

My DD is in year 4 and has always struggled with school. I recognised she needed extra help from year 1 and decided to help her more at home so she didn’t fall behind, but despite all our efforts, and hers, she is still struggling and falling behind and it’s heartbreaking. She is an emotional girl and gets anxiety. Although she is a good reader now, she struggled with phonics and relies on knowing the word, rather than breaking them down so struggles and guesses new words. Her writing is erratic and she struggles with spellings, sometimes spelling the same word different ways in the same paragraph even and mixes capital and lower case letters in a word and often lowercase letters and capital letters are written the same size. Punctuation is also non existent, often missing simple full stops. Maths she finds harder. She counts on her fingers and relies on tools to help her. She gets her numbers the wrong way round still after years of practice writing them over and over, and will sometimes write them from right to left.. ie put the 0 first and then the 1 in front to write 10. She has remembered her 2, 5 and 10 times tables and struggles with the others. Gets confused with math symbols. Struggles with subtracting or addition and can’t carry numbers over on harder sums. Most of her problems are related to memory, what she might remember one day she will forget by the next day.
I have spoken to her teachers many times about my concerns, and spoke to the SENCO a couple of months ago who did a very basic test on DD for dyslexia and it showed her as in the middle, with some scores coming out 2 years below her age but a spatial awareness test coming out above average putting her in the middle. She agreed DD needed help and arranged small group sessions everyday. Now DD has gone into year 4, the group sessions seem to have been stopped and when I asked about it they said she only had them when needed, even though that’s not what the SENCO had said.
I’m not a pushy person but worked hard to get DD a bit of extra help. I’m trying to push for a full assessment to be done but finding it very difficult and now thinking about getting it done privately to push for the extra help but at £500 it’s a big sum for us.
Is it worth paying for the assessment, as in will it help me get DD the extra help? Does she sound like she might have dyslexia/ dyscalculia to you? What are your experiences?
Sorry for the long post, but I feel like I’m banging my head on a brick wall with all of this. Thanks in advance for any help.

LouMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-Sep-19 16:42:21

Bumping this for you, OP.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice.

twoyears Sat 21-Sep-19 16:06:30

Just wondered if I could help.

I wouldn't be in a position to deal with the wider issues you ask about but definitely could give you some activities that you could do with your daughter that should help with the spelling and writing. They are short activities that are 'fast and fun'. Children love them and get really excited by the progress they make. We organise the activities so that children never 'struggle'.

For many children, success in this area makes a big difference to other classroom activities.

I work with teachers, but also enjoy giving parents advice and for the latter I don't charge. Feel free to pm me if you'd like more information.

june2007 Sat 21-Sep-19 16:19:39

Have you contacted the British dylexia assocition, they may have a branch near you, they can give advice. May be woth going to doctors seeing if you can see an ed psych through them. It is worth getting the diagnosis as they you can get the help your child neeedds if theyare two years behind in some areas then I think I am rigt in saying they should be entitled to to an educational/ health plan. (an old stateent) Also go look up sendias. (special educational needs information and adice service.) They may tell you more. I got a lot of help and it helped me catch up and stay in mainstream ed. A lot of the dys are related to each other so if they have one may well have another.

Louise4765 Sun 22-Sep-19 17:16:06

Thank you for replying and trying to help. TWOYEARS I do a lot of work with her at home and have been looking at the Nessy website that was recommended to me just this week and thinking about giving their program a go, but thank you for mentioning the classes.
They also have an assessment on Nessy which you can do at home, which we did yesterday and it is coming up very likely that my DD is dyslexic and tells me that she needs a full assessment done and also tells me she needs one to one help. I'm going to request another meeting with her teacher and push again for full assessment to be done & also ask for a copy of the basic assessment they did a couple of months ago.
Also, I wasn't aware you can request one through the doctors? Has anyone done this?
I haven't contacted dyslexia action yet, I don't know what is stopping me really. I think it's probably the fact I'm finding it hard to get any help at school, as though I'm not being taken seriously and they always talk their way round it, by saying things like 'we don't like to label children' and 'even if she is dyslexic we would be giving her the same level of help', that makes me wander sometimes if I'm being an over the top Mum sad Would be nice for someone to agree with me at least! Can't believe how much of a battle this all is.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »