Talk

Advanced search

"General Assessment" on Thursday - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
Mammabear31 Mon 16-Sep-19 19:01:41

I hope I'm asking this in the right place.

Our 6 year old has his first general assessment this week, following a referral for concerns raised by the school and us. Possibly aspergers/autism and ADHD, maybe dyspraxia (the point being - we don't know!). What should we expect? We've been told the appointment is around an hour but that's all. I'd like to be prepared, please could anyone give some advice on what they may ask us or how they will assess him?

This is all so new to us and apart from agreeing with the referral the school have been less than useful.

Thanks in advance smile

Mammabear31 Mon 16-Sep-19 21:50:14

Bump.....anyone?

cheeseandbiscuitss Sun 22-Sep-19 13:32:50

How did it go OP? We have ours in the next 2 months or so. I've been told they compare both questionnaires from parents and teachers and can be rather brutal. School haven't said anything about what they think our DC has just that its best to wait for the assessment, so am feeling hugely out of my depth currently

Mammabear31 Wed 25-Sep-19 21:17:40

Hi @cheeseandbiscuitss, sorry for the late reply I didnt think anyone had seen this!

It went better than I thought it would. The lovely consultant started by asking our DS lots of questions- who are you here with, who are your friends, what do you like at school etc. Then asked us what our concerns were. She just listened, clarified if necessary and wrote everything down.

After that, we went through the referral paperwork completed by us and the school and discussed what had been written.

She then gave us an idea of what she thought might be going on - in our DS' case, dyspraxia, adhd and/or social communication disorder - and what the next steps would be. More forms, a computer test for DS and an ADOS assessment for which the waiting time is currently 12-18 months shock

So we are getting somewhere. I'm struggling to get the school involved, I get the feeling that DS' teacher is annoyed by it all hmm.

Good luck for yours, I hope you're not waiting too long.

cheeseandbiscuitss Thu 26-Sep-19 10:03:41

Oh wow thanks for all that info. I'm glad you are getting somewhere and sounds like all on the right track now.
It's hard when the school isn't backing but I follow the mantra that you are the only person who can fight on your child's behalf so keep going with it.

I'm the opposite, the school have flagged the problem and I'm struggling with it. We finally have an assessment date for around 6 weeks time so I can be happy that we finally have something to focus on and hopefully get some answers. It's so hard because school have said whatever it is, is mild but haven't said anything else.

I'm constantly now analysing my child and looking for signs wherever. Here's to getting some answers soon !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »