Talk

Advanced search

Would you send you child who cannot read/write to high school?

(5 Posts)
ItStartedWithAKiss241 Fri 13-Sep-19 10:03:44

My DS11 is due to start high school in September next year and I am supposed to apply for his high school place this month.
He has not been diagnosed with anything but is clearly ASD/dyspraxic/etc if you spend any time with him.
He will probably not be entered for SATs this year or if he does, he will have a scribe read and write for him hopefully.
So far he has been at the same tiny village school since reception.
My concerns are that his handwriting/reading is the equivalent of a poor reception child. How can I send him to high school unable to do the work?
Also he struggles social, has anxiety and stays up in the night worrying about school with a tummy ache and being sick (once a month average). At one point, he was struggling with spanish and so was up all night being sick with worry weekly, the night before Spanish.
He definitely will not get a place in a SEN school.
I don’t know what my options are and his school are useless x

Ilovellamas Fri 13-Sep-19 10:10:04

You need to get him formally diagnosed with all his issues, then the High School will be able to put in appropriate support. You may need to go and see the SENCo at the high school and she/he may put things in motion. But first stop is your GP and ask for referral.

Tonnerre Sat 14-Sep-19 07:51:12

Does he have an EHC Plan? If not, you can apply for one whether you have a diagnosis or not - at the very least that should lead to a proper assessment. www.ipsea.org.uk/ehc-needs-assessments

autumnalwishing Mon 16-Sep-19 21:17:21

Why do you think he won't get a place at a SEN school?

LolaSmiles Tue 17-Sep-19 10:40:04

You need to get formal diagnosis of any additional needs OP because otherwise they're going to find secondary almost impossible.

I often teach nurture groups and SEND groups and the lower end (apologies for phrasing) are usually working around 7/8 years old.
Mainstream secondary staff are highly, highly unlikely to have the relevant skills or training to teach to reception standard.

I also think there's questions to be asked of the primary school if they've allowed this situation to continue. It's really unfair on him.

Look into getting an ECHP and I'd also talk to some SEN schools as based on the updated training we had this year (mainstream secondary) the focus seems to be more about the needs of the child, not just a paper diagnosis so a child without a diagnosis but clear needs would be able to have a place.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »