Advanced search

Extra Time/Rest Breaks Etc. How Does This Work for GCSEs etc Please??

(5 Posts)
RockinHippy Tue 13-Mar-18 15:47:12

Due to hEDS & other issues our DD qualified for 25% extra time, rest breaks, quiet room etc for all tests in her assessment last year. But I'm increasingly confused by this & to whether or not she actually gets what she needs/qualified for. Getting info out of DD is like getting blood out of a stone, but I do know she doesn't help herself a lot of the time as she insists she can cope when she can't.

Just had a very upset txt from her as she's just had a panic attack & ended up in floods of tears in a mock GCSE exam, meaning she badly messed up a paper in a subject she is very strong in. She couldn't get the questions answered as she panicked & her mind blanked & she then panicked more. She suffers badly with cognitive problems, plus anxiety, so we've coaxed her to get up & stretch etc when she feels this happening & treat in the same way she would pain in her hands/neck etc, but she doesn't.

She insists this particular paper doesn't allow her to do that & that extra time is given after the test, & those that qualify are not tested separately, which I'm confused by.

Can anyone please explain how these concessions are actually given in exams

Jackyjill6 Wed 14-Mar-18 07:45:16

Speak to the Senco about this, who should make sure this is happening. If she is entitled to restbreaks, she should be able to put her hand up when she needs a break to stretch or whatever. Extra time is different, and is added on at the end of the normal exam time.

But as I said, speak to your Senco to clarify whether your DD is getting what she is entitled to.

hennipenni Wed 14-Mar-18 14:36:45

My DD entitled to up to 100% extra time for her GCSE’s, with rest breaks as well. The time taken for rest breaks is added on to the 100% time.
We’re quite new to all this but I know she can have as many rest breaks as she needs (with in reason) is able to take her exams in a room with an invigilator and a scribe, without any other students present.

Walkingdeadfangirl Fri 16-Mar-18 23:54:14

Does anyone know how a 15 minute rest break works in a practical sense?

DD is entitled to have them but no one in the exam hall ever explained to her how they work, what to do to have one etc and so in her mocks was unable to access them. She just took a rest without telling anyone and thus actually lost time and was unable to finish several papers.

I will approach school for info but wanted to get some idea first.

hennipenni Sat 17-Mar-18 12:28:49

My daughter let her LSA/scribe know when she required rest breaks in her recent mock, the length of her rest breaks were noted and the time added on the end of her 100% extra time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now