Advanced search

how do I report school when my child has been seriously hurt in their care

(6 Posts)
Morgz84 Sat 03-Feb-18 19:00:40

My non verbal son who has severe autism was sent home from school on Monday after a day long visit to the local woods with severe burns on the calf of his right leg . They said they think it was due to his wellies rubbing but only noticed when changing him at 3pm ! Since then we had a trip to A&E and the doctors have said that the top layer of skin on his leg has died and he will need a skin graft. Consultant has indicated that there is no way this could have been caused by wellies due to the severity and has reported the school to the hospital safeguarding team . I'm unsure what my next steps should be ? Do I report to the local authority or ofsted not sure what to do for the best as obviously I don't want him returning to the school

Supermagicsmile Sat 03-Feb-18 20:21:10

I'd let he hospital referral do its thing - an investigation will take place and they will contact Ofsted etc if needed. Hope your son feels better soon.

Tainbri Tue 06-Feb-18 09:16:06

Gosh how awful!! I am glad the hospital is reporting the school! Presumably if your son has severe autism he also has an EHCP? If this is the case I would contact the LA and open a case with them too. I hope your son recovers quickly.

Onceuponatimethen Wed 07-Feb-18 22:38:30

I think letter to governors in accordance with school complaints procedure and complain to lea and ofsted are what I would consider. I would also seek legal advice from a solicitor specialising in personal injury - some will give you a free half hour of initial advice if you ask up front

EeAicheCeePee Thu 08-Feb-18 18:35:59

Posing purely to get notifications, as I would want to know how this ends.

MaisyPops Sat 10-Feb-18 20:22:40

I would be inclined to let the hospital report for safeguarding run its course if I'm honest.
Normally I'm a big believer in follow the complaints procedure to the letter but if they are covering up that level of either harm or negligence then I would be wary of getting too involved with the school.

I'd advocate contacting the LADO and explain the hospital view and get some advice.

Hope thry get better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: