Talk

Advanced search

Asperger's assessment

(8 Posts)
endofacentury Mon 08-Jan-18 20:23:49

Can anyone explain to me the assessment process at Camhs for aspergers please? My Dd age 13 has just been referred by GP. I'm aware there's a long wait to be seen, but I'd just like an idea of what assessment looks like. Thanks

endofacentury Mon 08-Jan-18 20:42:45

Anyone ...

EeAicheCeePee Mon 08-Jan-18 21:09:48

This may help:

www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx

endofacentury Mon 08-Jan-18 21:25:32

Thanks a lot i will read that now.

Mycarsmellsoflavender Fri 12-Jan-18 21:30:52

DS was assessed through CAMHS when he was 11. They have to be assessed by 2 different people on 2 separate occasions and in 2 different settings or at least that's what I think I was told. Someone came in and observed him at school. She observed him in class and how he interacted with others and spoke to his teacher too. I can't remember now whether or not she spoke with him directly. A month or two later, we had an appointment at CAMHS. There were 2 people conducting the assessment this time - there was some role play involved, mainly with one of them. I can't remember much about it now but they wrote quite a detailed report, diagnosing ASD.
Out of interest, are they calling it Aspergers? We were told they no longer diagnose Aspergers - it's all grouped under ASD.

sazzleevans Mon 15-Jan-18 12:55:56

My daughter has aspergers she is 8. They call it ASD now but allows add its high functioning. She didn't go to CAMHS as she is younger. They talked to her and had my input. It is nothing to worry about it helps to know the issue though.

fababzz01 Wed 07-Feb-18 19:30:24

I was assessed between 6 and 9 years I was also going to see a speech speech therapist at the time I was referred by the LEA psychologist because I had reading and writing problems and a slight lisp and was violent towards other children in year 1. They were asking me bizzar questions making be do tests like what do these facial expressions mean etc and people were making observations I think they were child psychologist, I didn't see the point in it all I just said anything to get the dam thing over and done with, if my parents asked me to do it at 13 I would have told them where to go and just refused to co-operate point blank.

irishmissie Sun 11-Feb-18 13:37:03

My son is Aspergers and was diagnosed when he was 5-6, if I'm honest a lot of the Assessment is done by a child phys at school but with regular updates from you and other health care who are involved with him. What are your concerns with your son? My son is now going to high school in September and he has improved massively but that is down to a lot of intervention from myself, but he does struggle socially

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now