Talk

Advanced search

8yo with poor working memory. What support should school be offering?

(5 Posts)
telekon Tue 31-Oct-17 12:36:00

My DD has been diagnosed with poor working memory. She is in year 4 but working more than 2 years behind according to her teacher and the gap is widening. She possibly has dyscalculia but this has not been diagnosed. She gets a lot of help from LSA in classroom, 1-2-1 maths lessons a couple of times a week, and differentiated work in the classroom but it doesn't seem to be helping her keep up.

I've got a meeting with SENCO and her teachers tomorrow and I'm not sure what I should be asking for. Has anyone succeeded in getting an EHCP/statement for poor working memory? I've been told my chances of getting this are pretty much non-existent. So what kind of help could I realistically ask for for my daughter in the classroom? Nobody at the school seems to have much experience of dealing with poor working memory and what techniques might help my daughter to work more independently. Any thoughts or advice gratefully received!

Tainbri Thu 02-Nov-17 10:18:32

Poor working memory is massively common, especially with children with dyslexia and dyscalculia. Like anything it really depends on the severity. If you can afford it, a private ed psych report would be a massive help as they would advise specific strategies, or apply for an EHCP and if they agree to assess, one would happen then (sadly children have to "prove to fail" in order to get one)

Ellie56 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:27:10

The school should be getting outside opinions if what they are doing is not working. Ask them to get a Educational Psychologist in to assess your daughter. If she is 2 years behind and the gap is widening, she is not making progress, in spite of the extra support the school is putting in place.

You can apply for an EHC Needs assessment yourself. You might have been told you have no chance of getting one, but don't be fobbed off. Unfortunately you have to fight for your child because nobody else will.

www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/ehc-needs-assessments

muiisal Sun 19-Nov-17 04:51:02

My child has poor working memory and we have just been given an EHCP (he has other issues also). As another has said, you need to be forthright with this to get the support. You can apply for EHCP yourself but I’d try and discuss with SENCO first, it’s easier a path with their support.

telekon Mon 27-Nov-17 20:47:59

Oops, I've only just seen that my post got some answers! When it hadn't got any replies after two days, I gave up and stupidly didn't check back again. Sorry. And thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I had the meeting with the school and they've booked an assessment with the EP for the New Year and are going to help me apply for an EHCP, (which nobody seems to think I'll get, even though DD's problems are severe - e.g.she can't write a sentence because she forgets half-way through what she's trying to say, been trying to learn 2X timetables for two years and still can't remember them).

So I guess things are moving in the right direction slowly but it's clear that the support she has been getting in the classroom up until now, hasn't really been working. IF anyone has come across any good educational resources or teaching tips for children with poor working memory I'd be happy to hear about them. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: