Advanced search

Naming the school on EHCP - multiple tracks

(12 Posts)
Larkrsising Mon 23-Oct-17 13:01:54

When naming she school we gave a list of three schools in order of preference. The LA contacted 2 mainstream schools, one didn't answer yet, there is uncertainty about a place, the other was full. I am panicking and want the LA to contact the third school, but it is a special, so it needs to go to the panel and there might be no place either.

Would it be a point of no return to go back to the first mainstream or another mainstream? What are the implications?

Ceto Mon 30-Oct-17 13:54:02

If you prefer mainstream, your preference has to be met unless placing your child there is incompatible with efficient education of other pupils and there are no reasonable steps that can be taken to overcome that. It's very difficult for schools to say no in those circumstances. I would suggest pointing out the law to the LA and suggesting they go back to both mainstream schools.

Larksrising Mon 30-Oct-17 16:28:53

Well it is not an easy decision. I like this particular special school over the two mainstreams. However I am worried that going to the panel would open the flood gate for other special schools I don't like at all, with a risk of not getting a place in the desired special school.

What is the implication of that pannel? It is said to be about placement in special school in general. Can it be narrowed down to one school? Can I go back to mainstream after that?

Ceto Tue 31-Oct-17 07:32:22

I'm not sure anyone can really advise on that, it depends how your particular LA operates. In general, LAs will always go for the cheapest option; if they think your child's needs can be met in the mainstream, that is what they will go for.

Shybutnotretiring Tue 31-Oct-17 10:06:27

If you've decided you want a particular school then I would go for that single-mindedly. I would imagine that if you name 2 mainstreams and one special the LA will totally ignore the special choice. In my experience you have to go through a process of getting the LA to agree your child needs a special school. So if you want the special school I think you have to be decisive and argue that mainstream can't meet needs full stop. They can't make you accept a special school you don't want but it does open up the possibility of having no school which depending on your circumstances can be very tense indeed. Is the special school state or private? With private ones you can approach yourself and get a useful heads-up whether they think they're the right fit for your child. More difficult with the state ones as they tend to (always?) stick to the rigid LA referral procedure.

Ellie56 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:38:20

If you think the special school will best meet your child's needs hold out for that one.

As I understand it, if you have named that school, the LA has to consult with them.

If the LA names a school you don't want on the final EHCP, you appeal.

Larksrising Wed 08-Nov-17 14:23:45

Thanks for comments.

I don't know what is best, I need DD to visit the schools and see how she functions there.

I indeed want to avoid the situation of no school as Shy describes.
Hence my question, what is the position concerning a list of preferences, one of which is special, which are not our first choice?
What is the implication of applying to the panel for special schools?

lostparent Mon 04-Dec-17 16:11:44

Hope you don't mind me intruding in your conversation. After years of fighting and getting no where I have just had confirmation that my daughter needs special help. We are at the beginning of the EHP process. I want her to go to a special school in the morning and mainstream in afternoon. Does anyone know if I can do this under the dual registration before the EHP is sorted. My daughter is in yr 5 at reception/yr1 level. we are running out of time for high school.
Do you know anything about "dual registration" , I cant find out very much about it.

EeAicheCeePee Tue 05-Dec-17 08:33:59

Hi lostparent, this should help:

lostparent Tue 05-Dec-17 19:40:55

Thanks greatly appreciated

WBNE Mon 22-Jan-18 21:30:48

I’m currently muddling through the EHCP process (apologies if I’m wrong on any of this) and what I’ve picked up so far is that LA’s must listen to you / your child’s preference for a particular school. I don’t think you will be left in a position of no school being named if you give a list. I would personally choose one and stick with that. Have the LA indicated that a mainstream placement would be sufficient? If so you may struggle to push for a special school, but can certainly ask and could also appeal the panel’s decision about mainstream if you think it’s wrong. I don’t think a school can refuse being named on an EHCP due to being full, you might wish to ask this question.

The IPSEA website contains very useful infirmation. The following link is useful.

WBNE Mon 22-Jan-18 21:40:54

Also look at the SEND code of practice, it’s huge but pages 172 onwards gives you guidance on naming a school.

There’s also guidance on dual registration on page 173, but in the context of an EHCP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: