Talk

Advanced search

Moving on to High School

(1 Post)
Minikitty Wed 18-Oct-17 16:45:01

DD (10) is in year 6 and has fairly profound Selective Mutism. She has no EHCP. We are looking at High Schools - being in London we have little to no control over which school she will go to.

Dilemma is: she wants to go where her (few) friends are going. It's a 25 minute bus journey. It's a huge school and the SEN team practically laughed me out of the office saying she'd get no help as she has no EHCP, although I believe the pastoral care in the school is generally good.

There's a slightly closer school, she'd know no one but the SEN team are marvellous - a benchmark in standard of care.

My head and heart are going in different directions - go with friends as she wants, or the support?

Does anyone have any experience? In reality I know that primary friends will probably drift apart as I did from mine, but just to give that initial confidence on the first day / first break / lunch? I'm not sure what I'm asking or looking for, just my head is all over the place and I have to pick the order of preference in coming days!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: