Talk

Advanced search

Adhd? In an intelligent child

(10 Posts)
hibbledobble Thu 24-Aug-17 23:19:19

Dd, nearly 7, fulfills all the diagnostic criteria for adhd (short attention span, abnormally hyperactive, unable to stay still, impulsive, socially disinhibited etc). She has seen camhs, mainly due to poor behavior and emotional difficulties, who offered to put her forwards for an adhd diagnosis.

We declined, on the basis of not wanting 'a label' and her doing well at school. She is extremely intelligent, and exceeding expectations.

I'm however noticing more and more that her behaviour is not normal for her age, and think that we are perhaps wrong too discount a diagnosis just because she is intelligent.

What could the possible benefit be from a diagnosis? Is it worth going ahead?

I have already done a parenting course, as recommended by camhs, which was helpful. We don't want to medicate her.

BackforGood Thu 24-Aug-17 23:58:34

I think the benefit comes when they get to secondary, and are meeting several different teachers a day, who don't get chance to get to know the dc as well as their Primary school teachers do. Knowing someone has a condition that means they struggle not to shout out, and make rash decisions, and not be able to control their temper, means a difference response from someone who is just 'not behaving'.
You might not need to tell them of the diagnosis, if all is going well, but it can be a difficult time when hormones kick in, and they get in with different groups of friends, etc.

shaymannion Thu 07-Sep-17 10:16:55

The benefit is that it is a recognised medical condition and as such the school has to make allowances under the 2010 Equality Act. As a medical diagnosis it means the secondary school can apply for extra time for exams, a prompter, coloured paper etc to be allowed in GCSEs. This could all help with the concentration issues.
youngminds.org.uk/find-help/conditions/adhd/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3MPNBRDjARIsAOYU6x8pDOotcpy1b6EvsXesHGv5esiHuMhwfntSW_dqerQAQzxC_OLRjNEaAv6-EALw_wcB

toomuchhappyland Tue 10-Oct-17 20:42:14

ADHD has nothing to do with intelligence. It's a problem with the frontal lobes of the brain and is a medical condition. Medication isn't always used but if it is, it's not a tranquilliser, it's to help the brain function effectively. It can work extremely well and make a real difference to a child's quality of life - it's frustrating getting in trouble for behaviour issues that aren't your fault. Personally I would have the assessment done (I'm a SENCO), with an Ed Psych report of you can get one, and I would be open to the idea of medication if it is suggested. You would medicate her for asthma or diabetes or other chronic medical conditions and ADHD is no different.

scrabble1 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:22:08

ADHD children can be intelligent ! 😡

2014newme Wed 18-Oct-17 06:52:51

Ffs of course adhd kids can be intelligent! What a ridiculous view.
Without a diagnosis your child won't get the support they need. Why would you do your child such a disservice.
Honestly some parents are just unbelievable

Whinberry Sat 21-Oct-17 10:26:30

Whether of not you choose to accept the adhd diagnosis (it is a medical diagnosis not a label) makes no difference to the fact that she has adhd. It just means the school might label her as disruptive, naughty etc and give her the support she needs.

Whinberry Sat 21-Oct-17 10:27:43

*and not give support

Crusoe Mon 23-Oct-17 14:08:58

I think you are wrong to discount a diagnosis. My son has ADHD and an IQ of over 130. He is very intelligent, gifted in some areas but struggles in others. He has impaired executive functioning, very poor organisational skills, he is impulsive and quite rigid in his thinking.
The diagnosis helps access support and helps people (especially school) understand and help him. Why honestly wouldn’t you want all the help you can get for your child.
He is much much more than an ADHD label. ADHD is just a part of who he is.
Equally why not medicate? You would for other medical problems and if it helps the child....

Larkrsising Mon 23-Oct-17 15:12:30

I would also add that I think it is generally understood that children with SEN are not 'stupid', they just have Special Needs for which they can get targetted support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now