Advanced search

Educational Psychologist

(5 Posts)
Barrytheunicorn Thu 06-Jul-17 13:08:35

Hi I was just looking for a bit of information.

My dd is ASD and her school have just requested an educational health care plan for her, the school have told me that as part of the process she needs to be seen by an educational psychologist.

Someone is coming in to see her the week after next and wants to see me too.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what they will ask and any why they need to be involved? Is this the usual process?

I don't know why I just feel a bit like a failure that she needs to see an educational psychologist. She's only 4 and is quite happy at school.

Ceto Thu 06-Jul-17 22:13:12

The process of assessment for an Education Health and Care Plan requires the LA to get advice from various sources, one of which is an educational psychologist, so that they can ascertain what all your daughter's difficulties are and get advice on how to provide for them. They will probably do some cognitive assessments on your daughter as well as observing her in school and talking to teachers, and they'll presumably talk to you about how she is at home, what she likes, what she finds difficult, etc.

You should also be consulted about what other assessments she may need. As ASD is a social communication disorder, I'd strongly recommend that you ask for a speech and language therapy assessment. You might also like to consider occupational therapy if she has any difficulties with co-ordination and attention; also if she has sensory problems like sensitivity to bright lights, noise, touch, taste etc.

Don't feel ashamed, you haven't done anything wrong. It's really a very good thing that the school has been proactive about this.

BackforGood Thu 06-Jul-17 23:04:49

Absolutely normal. By the EPs seeing everyone applying for an EHC, it provides some moderation across the Local Authority, rather than more support going to those that shout loudest.
Usually (here, anyway, I don't know that it is different or the same in different authorities), they observe the child in class, the speak to school staff, they do some little assessments to get some more detail (from your dd's pov this will just be the same sort of things as working with a teacher or TA in school - so, the may want to share a book, to gauge if she can infer something, or explain something, or retell something, or label something - it's nothing scary, the EPs work with pre-schoolers as well as many other dc your dd's age). They also talk to you, because so many children present differently at school from how they present at home. Usually they ask you a little about history (birth / milestones / when you became worried or noticed her differences, etc.) and they ask you about her strengths and weaknesses, and what you perceive are her areas of need, and what support she needs.
As has already been said, you have no reason to feel a failure, and the younger support is put into place, the better smile
Do come back and ask anything else - there are loads of posters on here who will help you.

Barrytheunicorn Fri 07-Jul-17 09:16:37

Thank you both so much I was really worried about the assessment. I was worried that I was failing her somehow.

Thank you for the advice about involving other services too, dd is non verbal so has a speech therapist but I didn't know an occupational therapist could help with her sensory / attention span problems I'll make sure I ask for a review by one.

Thank you both for reassuring me

BackforGood Fri 07-Jul-17 11:48:57

There are lots of organisations out the who will give you support - some local - try googling SENDIASS + the name of your Local Authority.

Get in touch with National Autistic Society


Contact a Family

Depending on what would work for you, they have telephone helpline, sometimes have local meet up groups for parents - ranging from a coffee and a chat to getting speakers in to, to running courses over a series of weeks. They also have on-line forums so you can just chat with other parents (like MN but specifically for parents of children with the same need), FAQs, etc. etc. There are Facebook groups if you are on FB.
There are often local things too, depending where you are (SENDIASS might be able to put you in touch with some). I'm in West Midlands and there is fab support out there from
Square Pegs West Midlands (on FB, don't have a website)
Resources for Autism
Kids West Midlands
and many more.

Usually the BEST route for information is other local parents in the same boat, hence the coffee mornings and chat forums are great. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: