Talk

Advanced search

independent verse sounds state school for boy with Aspergers starting re prion in September?

(6 Posts)
Abbott10 Mon 15-May-17 14:50:38

Hi all, my 3 year old has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. I'm wondering what your opinions are on state school verses independent? I just want to do what's best for him and wonder if smaller class sizes would help.

Thanks in advance

ASDismynormality Mon 15-May-17 14:53:04

It really depends on the individual schools themselves. My son has ASD and gets fab support at his state school. A child with similar difficulties has just left a private school and joined my sons due to lack of help.

Abbott10 Mon 15-May-17 14:55:42

Thanks - do you mind me asking what are you are in? How did you go about getting support for your child? Did you have to get a statement etc...?

Abbott10 Mon 15-May-17 14:55:59

Area apologies!

ASDismynormality Mon 15-May-17 15:57:23

I'm in Herts. My son does have an EHCP (a new name for statement) due to speech and language difficulties. Getting support wasn't easy due to an unhelpful senco and head but with lots of nagging we got some. Then there was a change over of staff and new senco and head are fabulous. As a parent you have to be really persistent as unfortunately it's often a case of the parent who shouts loudest gets most help for their child.

Abbott10 Mon 15-May-17 16:39:41

Thats really helpful information - thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now