Advanced search

A little advice for potentially my new career as a SEN...

(3 Posts)
MsPonder Wed 29-Mar-17 19:20:37


So I want to drastically change my career ( I currently work in Finance and am starting to loathe it) and wondered if there was anyone here that could give me some rounded and inspirational advice...

I want to get into working with Children with special needs, specifically Children within the Autistic Spectrum. My heart is drawing
me to play therapy or even SEN Teaching. Play therapists are quite sought after but I cant find the same info on SEN Teachers.

I don't have a degree but I have GCSE's and a couple of A Levels.

I can train with the PTUK from the beginning right up to Masters level which I have been massively drawn to previously but after much consideration, I think this may limit my job choices later on.

I can go to uni and do a degree which I am now 80% sure I will end up doing but I am struggling with which degree? Do I do a degree in education or do the social sciences degree which will open up lots of different opportunities.

I am no spring chicken, so whichever route I take I will be going in as a mature student.

Any advice to someone starting from scratch is very welcomed. There is only so much I can google. smile

Tainbri Thu 30-Mar-17 11:55:46

You might want t try "the staff room" board. My son goes to an independent special school and whils the teachers Have teaching qualifications, not many have specific Sen qualifications but they do get sent on short courses and have specific inset days etc. There is a program called TEACCH which I know. Few staff members have been sent on. Sorry if that sounds vague but I. A parent not a teacher!

winnietherpooh Thu 30-Mar-17 21:02:47


You could do a degree and a pgce or SCITT or similar (school based training). They do now do specialist Sen placements but I do think time in mainstream helps with teaching. Not absolute but can help.

Alternatively, a degree in education, usually 4 years.

The other way in is to train as a TA and get lots of experience in schools as an assistant. You could then become a higher level ta and then go back to uni while working to do the degree for teaching.

Most Sen teachers are trained on the job so to speak. Not sure about play therapy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: