Talk

Advanced search

autism in girls??

(13 Posts)
Fairybella Sun 26-Mar-17 21:04:57

My daughter is due to be assessed. We are waiting for her appointment. I was wondering how many people get assessed only to be told that they do not have autism?
Her Cahms assessment flagged up something and then in the CDC appointment they decided she does need assessment!
Either way I just want to support her be the best person she can be.
I'm struggling with people saying there is no way she has it ( close family) to everyone else thinking she has (therapist for one) . She definitely has sensory processing issues. I'm just wondering if we will go through all this to be told she is just quirky?!
Anyone else out there that can share their stories please?

Fairybella Mon 27-Mar-17 12:24:56

No one?

user1471537877 Mon 27-Mar-17 21:36:59

Hi Fairy

I didn't want to leave you unanswered, the special needs board is far more active on ASD

My DD is 14 and very sensory, girls are often picked up late and are often in secondary school by the time they get any diagnosis

Come over to the special needs board, ask any questions and get to know us we're all friendly and supportive and have a great handle on girls with autism

SanBlas Mon 27-Mar-17 21:56:49

Hi Fairy. My DD was diagnosed a year ago, aged 8. Most people would not know it to look at her. She was experiencing a lot of facial tics when the GP referred her. She has lots of friends and is intelligent but struggles with some social situations, particularly with saying hello and goodbye, talking with grown ups or anyone who is not in her group of friends. Since the diagnosis she seems to be happier and school did some stuff with her around eye contact and social niceties. She is really the happiest I have ever known her and I think that comes from people understanding her a bit better. She is allowed to have stuff to fiddle with in class for example.

Fairybella Tue 28-Mar-17 19:50:30

Hi thank you so much for you responses.
It's just surreal right now... I look at her and think "you?" My beautiful girl "you really have this struggle?" And other times it all makes perfect sense. I'll try and jump over there... rubbish with technology x

Ohmuther Sat 08-Apr-17 23:19:08

Hi Fairy
DD was diagnosed just before Christmas. I was in the same boat - it is /it can't be... the ADOS showed it definitely IS for her (she's 9)... and she's been having so many problems at school that I'm really, really glad she has the diagnosis. I go between pride at her special abilities to despair about her rigid thinking and mental health problems. It's a journey. I didn't choose it but here we are. Good luck and hugs. It's just a diagnosis, your DD is the same wonderful girl she's always been. flowers

Stripyhoglets Mon 24-Apr-17 23:20:16

I am in a similar situation with my dd, age12, she's very anxious and always been very sensory. Am finally getting help from Camhs so will see what they think. I ever between thinking it would explain alot and and then being convinced she doesnt have it, so I'm not much help really!

waterhorse123 Sun 04-Jun-17 14:03:52

Hi Fairy, I wasn't diagnosed until the second of my two sons with ASD had been and the older one kept saying he was sure I had it too. I do. Looking back I can see in my past exactly what picked me out as having it and I kind of resent the fact that nothing was ever noticed all that time. If it had been diagnosed my life might have been quite different I suppose. I'm not complaining about that because I'm very happy with where it's at, but I am angry neither of my parents realised there was something wrong with me. I feel like my needs were ignored and neglected and that I could have had help when I so obviously needed it.
Getting a child diagnosed as early as possible can only help her. Good luck with it.

Rose1981 Wed 07-Jun-17 22:42:45

Hi- my niece is currently waiting for ASD assessment but initial CAMHS identified needs she had. This is enough for the school to provide her with support as pet guidance in the SEND Code of Practice section 6. Try not to think of the diagnosis and work on needs identified. If you've raised concerns with the school they can refer her to inclusion and get a education phycholigist involved while your waiting on CAMHS- you may have already done this. National Autistic Society are great at providing advice and support and there are other organisations that don't require diagnosis. Then if she gets a diagnosis you have it stamped and if not you can still get her the support she needs. Hope this helps somewhat.

sazzleevans Thu 22-Jun-17 20:40:44

My daughter has Aspergers everyone told me there was nothing wrong and she is theatrical. I persisted and she was diagnosed at 7! It's a tilt ally different story with girls

sazzleevans Thu 22-Jun-17 20:41:11

PM if you want

sazzleevans Thu 22-Jun-17 20:46:56

Waterhorse123 is typical of Aspergers women. Most aren't diagnosed until they are adults. I agree and early diagnoses is an amazing gift. My daughter is 8 and now is really happy who she is. She understands it and happily says if she's stressed or she can't cope with smells etc. It's really empowered her! She was very stressed before and held lots in!

Rose1981 Thu 22-Jun-17 21:28:10

It's interesting that you said your daughter was described as theatrical sazzleevans. Same was said of my niece by the school, CAMHS however found enough evidence to put her forward for ASD assessment she's currently waiting for. She is 14, as she is a polite young girl she went unnoticed and concerns were ignored until parents put their foot down. It also sounds like my niece when you say she was stressed before and held things in. I'm glad your daughter has such a great understanding at her age, sounds like it was down to great parenting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now