We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Behavioural problems and childcare

(6 Posts)
user1487175389 Thu 16-Mar-17 09:40:25

Ds is 3 and has undiagnosed behavioural issues, mainly to do with him hurting other people. When he's not doing this, he's absolutely lovely, but is behind with speech, toileting etc. He had a meltdown at nursery recently and hurt another child. I was called to collect him. Nursery are now looking to cut his hours (he currently does 13 hrs per week) so that he just does mornings, because his behaviour is generally better then. They are expecting me to agree because I'm not working. The thing is, and I'm a lp, and I desperately want to work again. The idea behind him doing two full days was that it would give me a clear window to job search, attend interviews etc. I'm bloody sick of the stigma of being on benefits. I just want to provide for my dcs and set them a good example. I'm now thinking I should just give up, seeing as nursery want to cut his hours they're not exactly going to extend them if I do find work. Which is going to be considerably less likely anyway. Obviously I want to put him first, and I don't want other people's children getting hurt. What the heck can I do?

user1487175389 Thu 16-Mar-17 11:45:35

Bump. Any ideas?

Elisheva Thu 23-Mar-17 21:41:24

Have you looked at other nurseries? I have worked in a nursery which took a high proportion of SEN, including all sorts of behaviours. The staff ratios were higher and they were very experienced at dealing with different difficulties the children might be having.

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 19:08:21

tbf to the Nursery, having some dc attend for shorter hours, does really work for the child, as they do struggle with full days at 3 (not all dc, but some). It changes from being a battle and a negative experience in to a positive one for the child, and you can then build on that.
I would ask for a meeting with the SENCo or B.Co, or the Manager or whoever is making the decision / recommendation to ask about what they have observed, what strategies they have put in place, what advice they have taken, etc., and how you can work together on helping your ds cope with Nursery.

user1487175389 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:27:55

I agree, backforgood & in an ideal world I wouldn't be looking for him to do any more than 6 hours, but I'm a single mother on benefits and the world is positively screaming at me to get back to work - so I'm just wondering what people do in these circumstances. Having a child with SEN doesn't stop you needing to put food on the table.

user1487175389 Sun 26-Mar-17 21:29:59

Elisheva I do need to have a good look round at different nurseries. There's one in particular I'm thinking of, but I suspect they might need as statement of SEN or whatever they call it nowadays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now