We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Verbal Dyspraxia as a child gets older

(3 Posts)
MyschoolMyrules Wed 08-Mar-17 21:44:27

DS is now in year 5. He was diagnosed with Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia when he was 4, received steady and intensive speech therapy and his speech is now clear apart from a few quirky sounds, it he is understood well.

In year 2 he was taken off the SEN list at school because he made such good progress and is doing very well academically, he is a top learner in all subjects.

However, he is really struggling socially, has very few friends. He struggles to play games that others are playing. He never stands up for himself if someone isnt nice to him at school. He never, ever speaks about his thoughts to his teacher, even just to say he has a tummy ache. He does however asks questions and participates to the class assemblies and he does stage school so sings and acts in front of people.

He gets very upset as he can't articulate how he feels. At home he cries many evenings a week, for all sorts of reasons mainly to do with school. He thinks no-one likes him. He only has one or two friends at school and if they don't want to play with him he is devastated.

Anyone else with an older child with Verbal Dyspraxia? Is this a characteristic of Dyspraxia? I spoke to his teacher many times but never raised DVD with her. Should I go back to the Senco? Thanks for any advice.

MyschoolMyrules Wed 08-Mar-17 21:46:03

He is 10 years old, sorry I should have said that.

jumpupanddown Mon 04-Sep-17 13:45:26

Hi
Just saw your message and thought you may want to come to a free conference/meet up for families with children with Verbal Dyspraxia (i.e., the speech disorder) with speaker from the Nuffield and from Afasic on 13 September in London. Please fill in the doodle poll if you're able to come: doodle.com/poll/k5p763rpg9nfb8im

Mine is similar age with some similar and some different difficulties! Let me know if you want to come to the catch up. Thanks

Verbal Dyspraxia Conference and Meet Up
13 September 2017: From 10.30am to 3pm
At: Zetland House 5-25 Scrutton St, London EC2A 4HJ
zetlandhouse.com.
Programme:
10.30am arrive and coffee
11am: Introduction – Hayley Kohn – parent - www.facebook.com/groups/verbaldyspraxia/
11.30am: Talk by Dr. Pamela Williams PhD FRCSLT HCPC (reg)
Consultant Speech and Language Therapist/Team Manager (Developmental disorders)
Nuffield Hearing and Speech Centre
RNTNE Hospital
How the Nuffield programme works; How to get referred; Recommendations whilst waiting for referral; How to combine with local therapists to get the programme delivered; How to re-enforce in schools; What to do if a child’s progress stagnates or if they continue to struggle with certain speech sounds as they get older.
12.30pm Afasic – Alison Huneke, Helpline Manager
Language and speech units. How Afasic can help.
1pm Break for lunch and chat
2pm Afasic – Alison Huneke, Helpline Manager: Special education needs and the law. Disability Living Allowance.
3pm - Home

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now