Advanced search

Advice on finding an Ed Psych please?

(6 Posts)
gillybeanz Mon 06-Mar-17 21:23:04


Was wondering if anyone could advise what to look for.
We have to go private and I don't know where to start.
Her school have said talk to them first, but would like whatever they say to have been backed up by others having gone through this.

We aren't 100% that it's just dyslexia, will they test for other things.

Will she need a plan of some sort, or will that depend on the severity.
What specific things should we look at when choosing a psychologist.
Do they vary in price/ charge per diagnosis they make?
Do they all cover the same tests.

Probably more questions I don't know I need to ask iyswim..

Oh, my dd is 13 Y8 and we just want her to reach her potential, enjoy school work, it would be sad for her not to.

Mike8791 Tue 07-Mar-17 08:19:21

Where are you based? Your school senco should know someone? We used one recommended by both school and the CDC. It's not cheap. We spent about £700 but it was worth it. Much more in depth going private. Yes they will give you lots of recommendations but whether school takes any notice is another matter. In our case it triggered assessment for EHCP to get provision in place.

iwanttobemissmarple Tue 07-Mar-17 08:21:09

I thought the rules had changed recently & that the ed psych had to have a relationship with the school. So I'd speak to your senco to find out.

gillybeanz Tue 07-Mar-17 14:09:15

Thank you.
School have asked us to speak to them first but wanted some opinions here first.
We aren't entitled to provision from our LEA as dd is at a private school in a different area.
I don't know any parents who have done this as most of dd cohort from past school went through the LA.
It's not an area known for parents going private for anything, we have no
private schools.

If they have to have a relationship with the school, this might be why they have asked us to inform them first.
I didn't get this impression though as the SENCO asked me if there was somebody at our LA we could go through/ if they had provision for private assessments.

LIZS Tue 07-Mar-17 14:15:53

Try the PATOSS website to find a few EPs local to you. Then look at their websites and ring them to discuss your dd and the outcome you are looking for. There is a core set of tests , which may vary a little depending on the issues you describe and it would look at areas such as processing, spelling, numerical reasoning etc. We've paid from £300 to £600 for an assessment and full report.

gillybeanz Tue 07-Mar-17 15:14:40

Thanks LIZS will have a look.
We are in NW Greater Manchester.

I did have a look at this site last night, and couldn't find any.
I might not have been looking in the right area though.
I'll try again after work tonight.

Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: