Talk

Advanced search

SPD and medicine

(2 Posts)
Mehfruittea Mon 13-Feb-17 10:20:38

I never posted in this board before. I suspect DS has SPD but is undiagnosed as DH doesn't agree and does not wish me to attach a label at this stage.

DS is 5 and has always refused medicine as soon as he was able to mobilise and crawl/run away. We also have trouble with toothpaste and toothbrushing. He doesn't like jelly, custard, some yogurts and deserts. There seems to be an issue with how things feel in his mouth, that include medicine. [there are other signs of SPD that are not relevant to this thread]

DS rejects calpol and all forms of liquid meds, including various flavours of anti biotic. The last illness he had that required anti-biotics resulted in DH actually having a nervous breakdown. Something else would have triggered eventually but this was it, so is especially hard for DH to cope with any DS illness now.

DS has something brewing and for last 48hrs his temp has been over 39. I've crushed half a paracetamol in to milk to ease the symptoms. Just seen on FB one of his classmates has tonsillitis and was off Friday. DS took ill Saturday.

WWYD? Knowing anti biotics will be a massive trigger for both DS and DH. If this carries on should I let it fester by itself? And hope he rides it out? Or can it get really bad? Please help me work out what to do for the best!

CharlieG83 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:20:45

May be not the best person to answer as my littleun with SPD has been on medication since birth, but do you think he would be able to swallow a tablet? Meds are given as suspension to kids as they're generally unable to manage tabs/capsules, but there's no other reason and I've been giving tablets since lo was 3 for similar reasons. Pharmacists look at you a bit funny when you take scripts in to start with, but hey...

If his fever came down with the paracetamol, I wouldn't be overly concerned and see how he goes over the next 24 or so. Apart from the fever, is he alright in himself? Is he eating and drinking?Is the fever making him uncomfortable? Even though he has a fever, if he's not actually feeling ill with it, you don't need to give him anti-pyretics for the sake of it - if they're ok in themselves, it's fine to let their immune systems get on with it. Be careful with the paracetamol though - half a tab is 250mg, which is the equivalent otc dose for a 6 to 8 year old. Age 4-6 is an absolute max of 240mg every 4-6 hours with no more than 4 doses in 24.

Hope he feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now