Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting DS assessed?

(13 Posts)
Jellylove Thu 15-Dec-16 10:23:39

My DS is yr2, since yr1 has had difficulty writing and concentrating at school and he is stalling really. He is not completing written work in class, in fact he is barely starting it. He is being kept in at play time and lunchtimes until he's finished tasks.
He has now struggling times tables in the timed manner that the school has prescribed and cannot move forward as he can't achieve the target. Struggles with messy handwriting and spellings also.
He is good at reading and computers, his eyes have been tested fully and are perfect.
He finds a noisy classroom too distracting.
They have put him on an IEP for handwriting but teacher is starting to brand him as lazy.
And now maths seems to becoming an issue. They have told me they don't thing he has any issues such as dyslexia or other types of learning disorders but I am now sceptical of this
Can anyone advise me please?

MistyMeena Thu 15-Dec-16 10:43:46

As a teacher, I would definitely be considering that there might be underlying issues. Have the school done any testing or have they just decided there is nothing else (like dyslexia) going on?

Do you have any dyslexia history in the family? If so, and even if not, I would be making noises about having some screening tests done. You might find they will try and delay until at least Yr 3 but you need to be a bit of nuisance in order to get things done, in my experience!

Jellylove Thu 15-Dec-16 11:09:41

There is no diagnosed family history except my sister who was dyslexic (sadly RIP) and her father (my step father) has very much the same issues as she did, but he was educated when such things were not tested. On my husbands side his brother although not diagnosed exhibits very similar traits.
The school have not done any tests and have not suggested any, it was just a sweeping statement they made after I raised issues.
Last yr my son got so down about his struggles with writing he wanted to move house and never go to school again which is the only way his 5 year old brain could think of solving the problem sad
I asked the teacher how we can move forward and she offered me nothing
Feeling fed up and down about it myself

TheLaundryLady Thu 15-Dec-16 11:48:17

I find it incredibly sad that the teacher is labelling your son as lazy without any consideration for underlying cause.
Have they actually tested for dyslexia?
I would request a meeting with teacher and senco to discuss assessments and support for your son

mumzuki Thu 15-Dec-16 12:19:36

What is his pencil grip like? Does he hold and use cutlery fairly 'normally'? There could be a sensory/motor skills issue that is making physically writing harder for him, which would also make it difficult for him to complete timed tasks. A GP can refer you for an assessment with an Occupational Therapist who would then write a report to share with the school, including guidance if there are any modifications he might need (e.g. pencil grips etc).

Jellylove Thu 15-Dec-16 12:25:34

No they have not tested for dyslexia and have even dismissed the idea.
I just feel so disheartened and frustrated sad

SuburbanRhonda Thu 15-Dec-16 12:27:22

Can you try talking to the Senco?

Jellylove Thu 15-Dec-16 12:28:08

Mumzuki: he does have the pencil grip but it took a while as, cutlery use is ok but clumsy at times. Left and right does need reminders at times whereas my daughter who is 2 yrs younger has grasped this, i hought this was maybe cos she was a girl though??

SuburbanRhonda Thu 15-Dec-16 12:28:37

Not all schools have someone qualified to test for dyslexia.

ThreeHens Thu 15-Dec-16 12:43:11

Dyspraxia? I would make an appointment to see the SENCO. They need to take this seriously.

In the meantime work on fine motor skills (lego/Hama beads)

Play board games - good for having to learn to concentrate

Jellylove Fri 16-Dec-16 07:35:35

Thank you he does love board games and particularly snakes and ladders.

someone is suggested I see the head teacher, due to the teachers attitude
So far this week she has threatened to keep him out of the infant Christmas party for not keeping up with his work and she has complained about missing her breaks and lunches as she's keeping him in to finish his work

ThreeHens Fri 16-Dec-16 09:23:19

This sounds terrible!

Make an appointment to see the headteacher and another to see the SENCO

lifeisaconundrumattimes Sat 17-Dec-16 08:38:29

I think it sounds like possible sensory issues.

I would be advising that he's seen by an occupational therapist. They will offer a good insight into any difficulties he may face. You can get a private assessment but they are expensive.

Speak to the senco, she should be more helpful than the head in this situation. He needs an action plan with realistic goals and NOT to just be kept in all the time. I only do that occasionally with children whom I know are capable and not those who genuinely find it a challenge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now