Talk

Advanced search

Curse of cursive

(3 Posts)
OopsDearyMe Tue 13-Dec-16 20:42:39

New here so sorry if this has been done.
I am unique in that I have three SEN children with different needs, DD1(10) is an Aspie, DD2 (8) is registered partially deaf and DS (6) is highly likely to have dyslexia. I also have my own difficulties (Radiculitis , PTSD, Discalculia, Under Active Thyroid AND PCOS)

I was wondering what the deal was with insisting on teaching cursive handwriting in schools? Is there really any point?
DD1 was obbsessive over the diddley fiddily bits and DS could not recognise normal letters that strangely are all around him, asking him to writes cursive letter was nuts when he was reading straight text in his reading books, on street signs and most other items I attempted to have him read.

It then occurred to me why he was doing better reading than writing, he too was struggling with the bloody lead in and outs. Trying to he him to write a sentence takes an hour, and is unreadable.
I have learnt to write cursive myself (which is different to the joined up writing we learned) and it is tricky. So many times I have sighed and thought ffs why can't he just write the letters normally.
Surely, school is meant to prepare you for adu!thood. The place filled with printed text on PCs, phones etc.. I even hear teachers moan that they don't know how to use it either.

So what is the point? It must surely be easier for teachers too. Bring back the enormous pencil from words and pictures "...top to bottom up and round"

Its hard enough for non SEN children...

Rant over (well don't get me started on all these new names split diagraph, connectives etc)

DeepanKrispanEven Sun 18-Dec-16 14:38:05

I used to be heavily against this, but in fact what changed my mind was having a dyslexic child. Writing in cursive helped ensure that he got the letters the right way round, and helped his spelling - I suppose he built up a sort of muscle memory for the consonant blends and for things like ea, ee, oo and ed.

TheOtherMrsDeWinter Thu 29-Dec-16 10:01:11

Hi there, my ds school has scrapped cursive with him. He has dyspraxia and it was stressful and he was going backwards not forwards. He can now write all his letters and they are legible. His confidence has shot up. We breathed a sigh of relief to be frank once they said they had dropped the cursed cursive. My son has visual processing issues as well as dyspraxia so it makes sense for him. When they are connected, it makes it even harder to see, especially as the page gets busier.

I don't know if that's helpful at all, just our experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now