Talk

Advanced search

Re-learning handwriting: best way?

(4 Posts)
Euphemia Thu 08-Dec-16 19:57:34

I have some pupils aged 7 upwards whose handwriting is very poor, for various reasons. I want to re-teach them!

Does anyone have experience of the best way to go about this? Is cursive in favour?

BetweenTwoLungs Thu 08-Dec-16 19:59:15

I saw a great blog about this and I'm going to try this and then teach cursive:

thestableoyster.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/building-automaticity-in-handwriting/

Euphemia Thu 08-Dec-16 20:54:45

That blog looks brilliant - thanks.

I teach in Scotland where cursive doesn't seem to be practised, but I keep reading that it can help some pupils achieve automaticity.

It looks like there are lots of good preparatory ideas in that blog.

Got to be worth a try ...!

ilovesushi Mon 16-Jan-17 14:56:17

I had given up on my son's handwriting and pretty much decided typing and voice technology was the way forwards, but OT persuaded us to give HandWriting Without Tears a go. It is an American scheme and it was really successful for us. At age 7, he went right back to basics starting with making letters out of wooden strips, then progressed to writing on a mini blackboard. The school were trained to use it but because of a staff change around, they stopped doing it with him at school. I could have done with continuing support from school to reinforce what I was doing at home and make it really successful. Worth trying though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now