Talk

Advanced search

DS getting a 6th form mentor

(4 Posts)
cakedup Mon 10-Oct-16 11:27:16

Just wanted to share this really as the SENCO just called me up and it has made me a bit tearful! I'm always worrying/battling/complaining when it comes to DS' dyslexia support so it's nice to get a bit of good news.

The SENCO told me that a speech/language therapist will be coming in...ok that's kind of expected to be honest, he needs and should get this support.

But then she said she spoke with a 6th former who is also dyslexic who has agreed to be DS' mentor. He'll be checking in on him regularly to see how he is doing.

This has made me (perhaps disproportionately!) happy. It's such a nice idea and DS loves that type of thing. smile

Kr1stina Mon 10-Oct-16 11:30:36

My daughter is a 6th former and some of her classmates have trained to be peer mentors . It's all the kindest and most motivated kids that volunteer to do it, so I'm sure he will be a great support for your DS smile

Scarydinosaurs Mon 10-Oct-16 11:35:18

That's so wonderful. I've seen how successful these sort of arrangements can be and it is a sign of a good school that organises them.

I really hope it works for your son.

cakedup Mon 10-Oct-16 23:56:37

Kr1stina thank you, it will be so nice for DS to speak to someone who has gone through the system with the same kind of difficulties.

Scarydinosaurs yes i hope so, it's a new school (year 7, secondary school) so I do hope it's a good sign.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now