Dysgraphia - dyslexia

(5 Posts)
Questions1 Sat 01-Oct-16 14:28:49

Hi,
I have a 7 year old son who has struggled with writing since he started school. After the school saying they think he is dyslexic and us disagreeing as he is good at reading and doesn't seem to have the same traits, we have decided to home school him for a while to help him.
I have just heard about dysgraphia and as I'm working with my son, it seems so similar to how he is.
I'm basically looking for advice from parents who have been through this. I'm wondering if anyone could look at this writing and tell me if it's similar to someone they know with dysgraphia?
Since we are no longer in school, I'm not sure how we can receive the help/diagnosis.

Muddledmike Tue 04-Oct-16 20:44:59

You might want to try and get a referral to OT, we found this very beneficial. You may even look to have him assessed by an educational psychologist which we did later on.

KarmaNoMore Tue 04-Oct-16 21:01:19

My son is dyslexic. He has always been the most able reader in his group, he reads a lot but writes very little. He doesn't flip letters around or makes spelling errors, he cannot write well because he has problems with sequencing of information, which is one of the multiple signs of dyslexia.

I wouldn'5 fight a diagnostic test, it may open the door to additional help and support.

With regards to letter formation, this is a different thing but you can help your son with this at home. There is a book by Theodorescu (writing from the start, I think is called) that has many activities that may help to improve his letter formation, but you need to move fast as this problem becomes far resistant with age.

Localher0 Tue 04-Oct-16 21:05:51

My son has dysgraphia and was diagnosed around age 6/7. I found having an educational psychologist assessment most helpful which can then point you in the right direction to access help such as OT.

KarmaNoMore Tue 04-Oct-16 21:08:07

BTW, DS's school didn't want to test him as he was just "lazy" in their book. I paid about £500 for a very extensive test with a qualified educational psychologist. I don't regret a penny of it, it has helped to fight for support and allowances for DS, gave me lot of suggestions on how to help DS which their teachers continue to use, and also provided a lengthy list of very helpful references.

So it may be something that you may consider. I did after talking to a university dyslexia tutor, who told me that the worst thing about dyslexia is for it to be diagnosed when they are adults, as by then their self esteem was gone as they had been left to believe they were either lazy or stupid :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now